Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell if its a true SS or not? I looked at "how to tell if its a true SS" but it seemed so broad, like if the first 5 numbers are 13437 then its a heavy chevy but if its 13637 then its an SS or a V8 Malibu. Well the vin is 136371k180675 so its either a V8 Malibu or an SS. It has all the SS trim and hood, badges, and steering wheel. Plus it has the round gauges. But I just want to know for sure. It has a 350 engine and I know that starting in '71 you could get the SS with a 350. I'm not even sure if its the original engine or not. Is there any way I can tell?

Thanks a lot,

------------------
Ryan

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
You can tell if the engine is original at least. The small block and big block engines alike are identified by a casting number, found at the left rear of the block on the flange forward of the bell housing. On either side of the block (small block) or the right side of the engine above the old pan rails (big block) you will find a casting date. This date is the actual casting time of the block at the foundry. A typical casting date -- A 28 9 -- translates into January (A), 28th day, 1969 (9). By correlating the build date of the engine against the casting date of the block, you can find out if your engine has been tampered with -- after all, you can't build the engine before the block is cast, can you?
Also, all blocks starting in approximately 1967 were all stamped with the serial number of the car it was being installed in. The beginning location was next to or below the engine ID number.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has discs in the front and drums in the back. It does have dual exhaust but Ill have to check on the hangers. How can I tell if they're the original ones or not?

------------------
Ryan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has discs in the front and drums in the back. It does have dual exhaust but Ill have to check on the hangers. How can I tell if they're the original ones or not?

------------------
Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
A general "rule of thumb" is SS's have a dial speedometer and Malibu's have a sweep speedo. This assumes of course that the dash is original.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,275 Posts
In 71 only the Mailbu models got the SS option
any or all SS parts can be added so without a build sheet or some other documentation, there is no way to prove it either way on a car built in Kansas City

Only on Canadian built cars can the SS option by the factory be verified

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69
14th annual ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals pictures

A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken
spirit dries the bones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts