Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get better performance out of a 305 with a four barrel Quadrajet and single exhaust. I live in Portland Oregon and we have a pretty tough emissions testing program that limits my options. I can do some exhaust upgrades but have to stay with a single catalytic converter. I can get a new converter that has two 3" pipes in and two 3" pipes out for $190 (ouch!), then go to a dual 3" exhaust the rest of the way out. Total cost around $500. Will it be worth it? Other than exhaust where else would I be able to find more fun? Would like suggestions on what would be the best bang for the buck. I'm not looking to get to radical.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
3 inch is a bit of a waste for a 305, you dont need anything more then 2.5, or even 2 inch. If you get a performance y-pipe into a high flow converter and then into duals you can get some power. Also, replace your carb/intake. Beefing up your exaust wont do to much unless you get more air into the engine too. Underdrive pulleys are nice too...

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 350ci

·
Premium Member
28,753 Posts
I'd go with a factory Monte SS exhaust system or a factory 83-88 442/Hurst Olds exhaust,depending on your catlytic convertor.Monte exhaust has an oval outlet off the cat,and the 442 is a round outlet out of the cat.I run the stock 442 exhaust on my 82 Cutlass w/a 350,sounds great,and it was reasonabley priced,and it's smog legal.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
421 Posts
I guess the first thing to do would be to stuff a 350 block under the 305 heads and add in an aftermarket aluminum intake under the carb. Throw on some headers and run a high flow cat with a 2.5" system. Right there you'll see a nice jump in woo-hoo factor. After that just add some gear out back and you'll realy enjoy the car. Look into the Monte SS rear axle setups.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't know how it affects emissions, but if you have a 4-barrel, the next best thing is a cam. (Bang for the buck wise)

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Retore it and show it!! Can't have more fun than that with your clothes on! The more I see the 80s Elkys, the more I like them.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
(If not already so equipped), add a Monte S.S. rear sway bar, a lower geared rear, some low profile tires and wider wheels, and some good gas shocks and you'll be suprised how much better it handles through curves. That will make it more fun. Maybe a line lock out front, for some burnouts.

------------------
' 72 Malibu Project- planning stages

·
Registered
279 Posts
My 85 El Camino runs 12's.

Change the 305 into a 327 and build it up a little...

Use a 200r4 and like 3.55 rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.