Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AH HA...I finally found a source of my tranny fluid leak...a hole in the cooler line at one of the bends. It looks as if it has rubbed against something long enough to weaken it and got a slight kink at that spot when I was moving it around. My question is how can I fix this temporarily till I can order a new line? How much pressure is in the cooler lines? Can I simply cut the line and put in a piece of rubber line?? Thanks for the help!!

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bill
In the past I have tryed the rubber line it doen't hold very well but you can get a short piece of line and they make brass splices cut out section and put it in and it will work perm. if you want.or just buy splice cut out hole (worn section)reform line there very soft and put in splice.

------------------
Mike
aces member #03260
69SS396
69 converible
(JBROWN)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Depending on how long you're planning on waiting to get a new line, you may try the following. Take a 1/4" rubber hose, split it so you can slip it over the line without cutting, and put a hose clamp over it. It will seal the leak temporarily without having to cut the line.

I'm an electrician on an offshore drilling rig. The roughnecks do this frequently with high pressure (120 psi) air lines to get by until operations can be shut down long enough for a proper replacement to be welded in place.

Chad Landry
68 El Camino

·
Registered
283 Posts
What Chad said. For now. If you have to go around a corner you may have to cut out an inch or so on either side of the bend and install a short piece of 5/16 hose, two clamps on each end should do, for now.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 01-22-2000).]

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
BC,
Why wait ? 5/16 Brake line will work fine and you can bend it yourself. A 60" piece will be more than long enough and it already has the correct fittings on the end. If it is too long, get a 5/16 compression fitting made for brake lines, cut enough out of the middle of the line to make it the correct length and splice it back together with the compression fittings. I have done plenty this way and they will last forever. Most brake line you get today is of the bendable variety and you can duplicate your original line pretty closely. If you have a tubing bender, all the better.
Of course, if you are concerned with 100% original appearance, then I guess the compression fitting will ruin this method.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 01-22-2000).]

·
Registered
127 Posts
This happened to me on the way back from Vegas. I fixed mine with some JB weld and then installed a hose over it with clamps at each end. I spent the night and lost some more money and to let the JB weld cure first then installed the hose over it the next day. I looked realy cheesy but it worked and I made it back to San Diego and drove it for another week until new lines made it to me. Just to let you know trans fluid squirting on your exhaust manifold makes for quite a sight when driving down the road for 10 miles to get back to Vegas, you should have seen the look on the Valet's face when I pulled up to check back in.

------------------
Gold Member #164
sites.netscape.net/1969ss/homepage
San Diego CA.

·
Registered
659 Posts
About six monthes ago at work I ran into the same problem on a 20' straight truck with an Allison trans. I cleaned the rust out of the area of the hole with wire brush nd soldered the hole shut. 20,000 hard miles later, it is still holding up fine.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
If you use the right type of hose, you'll be fine. Not all rubber hoses are the same, and there is a type of rubber hose specifically for tranny lines (hydraulics). I'm not sure if it's the same as fuel line hose, but I do know if you use a vacuum line-type rubber hose, it will fail. It needs to be able to withstand pressure, heat, and tranny fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.