Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note to moderator, I have elected to post this here for more exposure rather than the Electrical Section, thanks.

Guys,

How are Optima batteries NOW?? The red-top in my Y2K Impala will be 7 years old (had a 6 year life rating), noticed it isn't quite up to snuff during cranking at times...I think it's time to replace it before I head down to TN.

Mine says made in Aurora CO, USA.

Are they still made here? Are they still worth darn?

I'd like to stick w/ 'em if they are still as good. I will NOT be going with AC/Delco again.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I went through two in three years, and needed a third replacement after four years from the original purchase date. They wanted $80 pro rated fee for a new one. I spent $80 on a lead acid type and it's still strong.

I won't buy another one, but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Mine lasted about two years, died at a fuel stop on the way to CB07. There's a Die Hard in it's place as it died almost in front of a Sears store.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I went through two in three years, and needed a third replacement after four years from the original purchase date. They wanted $80 pro rated fee for a new one. I spent $80 on a lead acid type and it's still strong.

I won't buy another one, but that's just my opinion.
You must have a charging issue! :confused:

I buy many of them and they work good for me. My number 1 choice. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I was in the battery industry for a while (no ties to optima except was a dealer for them), let me explain some things. First off the optima is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery, instead of using liquid electrolyte floating between the plates inside the battery like with a standard lead acid car battery AGM uses a fiber glass mesh between the plates, the battery is then filled with acid, the mesh is wet the excess liquid is sucked out of the bottom of the battery. This creates the "DRY" battery. The pros of this is a battery is it won’t leak, because the acid is always in contact with the plates, with no electrolyte (acid) sloshing around vibration doesn’t affect the battery, it tends to admit less gasses (gasses are explosive and corrosive so this is nice), optima also tends to use better quality leads and the case is thick and heavy duty. If these features are not something you need or interests you, buy a good quality lead acid battery and move on. Do not expect these batteries to give you more service TIME than a good quality lead acid. they are susceptible to sulfating (both from age and being stored uncharged) just as much as a standard lead acid…. Overcharge, consistent extreme deep cycling and storing the battery uncharged are harmful and can ruin any battery in pretty short order.

With this being said and to answer the question more directly I have 2 yellow tops in my truck that have a 225 amp alternator feeding them. They get hit with a 2000 watt sound system and lots of starting and short trips (usually with stereo going in those few minute trips) they are about 4 years old now and give me no hint of giving up. I just bought a red top for the chevelle but have yet to even hook it up. I think they are good quality batteries.

Hope that was usefull to anyone considering purchasing one.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Before I retired we used (and still do) blue and red top batteries in the Air Force AGE/GSE for many years. They are workhorse batteries and do not like being left to sit unused. They take a special Optima charger to rejuvenate the battery. If they drop below 6 volts you have to use a condition charger to reset the built in circuit breaker. If you have a high capacity charger or charging system you can easily boil the battery. They work well and stay charge with very little amperage from the charging system. 14 volts at 1 amps max keeps them lasting a long time.
I have/had a red top in my El Camino and it died after 10 years of use plus I used a battery tender connected to it if the Elky sat for awhile.

I like them because they are clean, do not leak, and if properly maintained work well.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Some year ago Consumers reports did a battery comparison test. I remember the Optima being mid-pack at best even though it was much more expensive.

I don't know who makes them, but the MotorCraft battery in my wife's F*rd lasted longer than any battery I've used. It died after 9 years.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You must have a charging issue! :confused:

I buy many of them and they work good for me. My number 1 choice. :yes:
So Optima batteries are more sensitive to any kind of abnormality in your charging system? There is one more reason not for me to buy one. The WalMart battery is still strong, so it must be better able to handle over/undercharge conditions.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The first Optima Red Top I had lasted 5 1/2 years. (cost $125 @ Pep Boys). Had to be replaced earlier this year as it would no longer hold a charge. There was a $80 pro-rated credit, so I bought another Optima Red Top @ Pep Boys (List of $170?, minus credit plus tax = $105 or so?). It's the 800 CCA one with dual cable mounts. A AC Delco maintenance free one I had lasted the same number of years, and cost less than $80 at the AC Delco wholesaler (battery was rated for around 800 CCA as well). I just replaced the AC Delco last year with a new AC Delco of same capacity.

Both the Optima and the AC Delco led a hard life with a lot of draining the battery dead and subseqent recharges (my fault, not the battery's). For the money Optima's are getting these days, I don't think it's worth it. There's guys out there running the cheapest battery they can find and it will last just as long as an Optima for a fraction of the cost. I like the features of Optima though (as far as dry-cell and can mount in just about any position).

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had one fail rather quickly, but I bought another. This time I put a battery tender on it so that it would stay charged. I totally agree with Tom. These batteries do not like to sit unused and hightly discharged for long periods. It isn't Optima it is the AGM technology. Since I have had the battery tender on it when the 'Velle is parked in the garage I haven't had a problem. I don't really care if it is Optima or another AGM battery, I will always pick an AGM battery over a flooded one. I never have to worry about corroding my battery tray and battery connections. I don't care what flooded battery you buy they always leak all over the battery tray!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Optimas are just batteries. They have a different construction than the wet batteries, but like all batteries, some last a long time and some die early. If anybody ever makes a battery that lasts reliably for 15 or more years, all the other battery manufacturers will be out of business. Right now, Optima costs more, but it is doubtful that you get more.
The AC Delco battery in my daily driver just finished its 12th North Dakota winter and it still cranks strong. Some last, and some don't.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My older one (stickered 'interstate', but optima) worked for a long time between various vehicles, but looking for another one and hope they are still good? The main reaon I want one is for in the trunk, but otherwise always had good luck with a quality 'regular' battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts