Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the stuff I have read indicates they are very accurate but I would like to hear from some people who have been able to compare with actual track results. Are there any magazine articles or websites (other than Mfg/vendor ads) that test it?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I ran mine a few times at the track.
It was very consistent, and always
measured 2 mph and 0.2 seconds
faster than what the track said.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Car Craft did a test on it maybe 1 year ago. If I remember correctly it was no more than .06 off in e.t.. The mph was 3-4 high. The mph was consistent though in that is was always 3-4 high.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
where can i get this g tech pro?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought mine through a group purchase (NAISSO I think.) Got it for $120. Check out the NAISSO or F-body pages (LS1.com) to see if you can get into a group purchase. Or save yourself the hassle and just pay $139. Any speed shop can get it for you or check out the web page.
www.gtechpro.com

They really work and it is a cool way to practice your launches. I seldom use the 1/4 mile. Too dangerous to be going 110 around here! But the 0-60 mph is real useful. I loan mine to other people all the time so they can see what their cars will really do. It is cool. The MPH will always be higher than the track because the track is a trap speed (average over the last 60') while the g-tech is your actual speed at the quarter. You can check your 60-0 braking as well. Both my cars will be in (0-60 mph) 4.x sec range before I am happy. Two friends at work can beat my TA, one with a '99 Vette goes 5.0 sec and one with a 97 NSX goes 5.1 sec. The Chevelle should be another story...

Pat
'99 TA WS6 (0-60 5.2 sec with top down)
'70 Chevelle SS396 (0-60 ??? need Drag radials before I even bother!)

·
Registered
336 Posts
to reiterate, theyre very accurate.

Ive posted about this a couple of times before and in my post I gave a couple of good links about the GTech... if you do a search for them you should find them, unless they've been "eaten"

good luck and I recommend one to anyone.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I understand how the G-Tech can determing 0-60, 60-0, 1/4 mile time and speed and G forces but I don't understand how it can calculate horsepower. It does not do it based upon 1/4 mile speed but does it based upon the amount of acceleration and vehicle weight. I would think that this would be greatly influenced by the gear ratio. If you install 4.11 gears in car that had a 3.08 gear it will accelerate much harder but the horsepower repmains the same.

If you understand how G-Tech can determine horsepower, please try to explain it to me.

Thanks, Joel

·
Registered
336 Posts
heres one possible way:

keep in mind horsepower is a measurement of work done over a period of time..

after you input your vehicles weight, you run the quarter mile.. if you do it in 13 seconds, it would take X horsepower to move 3500lbs 1/4mile in 13 seconds..

or maybe, but I seem to think otherwise, it uses 0-60... same idea though, you input vehicle weight and you get to 60mph in 6 seconds.. well again, it takes X horsepower to move 3500lbs to 60mph in 6 seconds..

Im pretty sure that Im either right, or at least on the right track. Ive spent a lot of time wondering about the same thing.... its all about math formulas..

anyone else?

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi guys, I haven't been around here in a while but thought I might as well jump back in.

That 0-60 feature is the best feature for learning how to leave the line.
I managed to break into the 4 second range with 3 runs averaging 4.9 sec in my 64 EC. I can't imagine what I would get if I didn't have to baby the throttle.

My best 1/4 average is still 13.42 at 106 mph. Not to bad for a 308 geared car on street tires.

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #322
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973 :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.