·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,417 Posts
Does that allow for non matching numbers? Options and colors?
:cool: No, That would be for a totally numbers-matching car, where options (other than a factory L72 or LS6) don't much matter, and in "correct" paint that matches the cowl tag. I spoke with an underwriter there and they are way more strict than they advertise. Restomods and clones do not generate those kinds of numbers.

·
Premium Member
17,435 Posts
REALLY confusing, but that makes it great for everyone to use the "tool" to calculate their own values...

I was looking at a few car values like the 1966 L78 Chevelle... These were ALL 4-speeds, yet the page still notes to add 15% for a 4-speed, so shouldn't that mean the added price is already included?...

For an L34 360HO, the #1 condition value is $72,500, but with a "value adjustment" of 15%, the value is pushed up to $83,375... The L78 in #1 condition is only $89,000...

Yeah right, the L78 is only worth $5,600 more?

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1966-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS_396?id=114786

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,616 Posts
IMO their values are somewhat inflated, and why wouldn't they be if people used those to arrive at their agreed value amount. The higher the AV amount the more you pay

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
IMO their values are somewhat inflated, and why wouldn't they be if people used those to arrive at their agreed value amount. The higher the AV amount the more you pay
and who wouldn't want to hear your car is worth 5 or 10 thousand more. plus it's a great way to pull you in :wink2: as a customer. they can let you down later when you get them on the phone. jmo.
hmardown

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They generally use auction averages to determine their number. And I'd say that most cars at auction are either numbers matching or heavily modified.
Consider some of the silly prices that those cars bring at some of the bigger auctions and you can figure out why they get the number they come up with.
And they use the national average versus a regional number so it probably is a little higher.

That being said, I think they are a little more reliable than some of the other valuation sites.

I like to get on Ebay and see what cars are actually selling for.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The 66 SS comes in at 38K so I've seen them in the "mid 30's" so that seems to be in the ball park.

The reality is that you have to have a lot of numbers to get any real meaning. It's an issue of what is for sale at the time you are a buyer and the ability for any person to make a good sale.

So many variables it's hard to have a lot of meaning to it.

I just took such a beat-down on a bike, that the offer was 1/2 BB. I took the bike off the market and it's likely not going up for sale. All it takes is for the sellers to hold out longer or for the buyers to walk away from a needy selling to change the numbers.

Get two rich guys drunk and you can set a record :D

Ok, I noticed the next range up:
1: $72K
2: $50K
3: $38K
4: $26K

On second thought that #2 seems too high, and that would adjust the rest.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Does anyone use valuation guides at the Hagerty website? I'm curious how accurate they are. They show $46400 for a number 3 condition 70 SS396. Does that allow for non matching numbers? Options and colors? Just curious.

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 Values | Hagerty Valuation Tool®
For a lot of models, Hagerty values are wildly inaccurate. By over 100% on some models. And I'll put my money where my mouth is.

If you can find a 1967 Nova Wagon (any condition fair or better) for a price in line with Hagerty valuations, I will double your money.

If you find such a wagon, send me an email and I'll buy it from you for twice the Hagerty valuation.

[email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well this post is 4 years old , so the values had to have gone up!
I'm not using values from this post, Terry. I'm using the current values on the Hagerty website.
Go ahead, see if you can find a '67 Nova Wagon for anywhere near their valuations. If you can, there's a lot of money in it for you. I will very happily pay you twice the current Hagerty valuation for any '67 Nova Wagon.

Current (as of October 14 2020) Hagerty valuation for 1967 Nova Wagon with a 283: Concours $16,000, Excellent $10,700, Good $8,400, Fair $6,400.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Im not really question the values. I just seen that you are new on this forum,which recently changed format. Since then , a lot of old threads come up and I didnt know if noticed. Maybe you would have a better reply on a Nova forum. Steves Nova, if thats still around. I had a 66 Nova about 6 yrs ago, and sold it.
This thread is about Hagerty valuations. It asks how accurate they are. I'm answering the question, at least as it applies to this car (and if this car is off by over 100%, I would wager that a lot of their values are pretty far off). Not sure what the format change or old threads have to do with anything. If somebody googles "how accurate are Hagerty valuations," they'll likely get a link to this page. I'm trying to help them out. I'm also pointing out that my assessment is not just academic: I'm willing to buy one of these cars at twice the Hagerty valuation.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
This thread is about Hagerty valuations. It asks how accurate they are. I'm answering the question, at least as it applies to this car (and if this car is off by over 100%, I would wager that a lot of their values are pretty far off). Not sure what the format change or old threads have to do with anything. If somebody googles "how accurate are Hagerty valuations," they'll likely get a link to this page. I'm trying to help them out. I'm also pointing out that my assessment is not just academic: I'm willing to buy one of these cars at twice the Hagerty valuation.
Sorry I wasted my time. If you dont like Hagerty valuations, then dont use them.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I know this is all about Hagerty. But I’ve used nada for all car, boat, motorcycle. For buying and selling. I think it’s kinda good for an idea. After all the values online are just estimates, to many variables affect actual car values, specially older classic cars. Here’s an example. I usually pick different options to see cost of each option.

AFE4A5A3-1A81-4E67-B88B-37C7832250CB.png
AFE4A5A3-1A81-4E67-B88B-37C7832250CB.png

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Sorry didn’t show what car, got cut off.

Reactions: Greg P

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
is the valuation what they use when someone wants to i sure thier car? buddy tried to i sure his 66 chevelle frame off resto big block 4 speed, dressed up like a ss without the 138 vin. He valued the car more than what Hagerty valued a 66 chevelle. it was go somewhere else or go with what Hagerty would insure it for. jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
They may require an appraisal and then they will insure it for that a mount. They did that on one of my cars plus I had to send some pictures.

Ray

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry I wasted my time. If you dont like Hagerty valuations, then dont use them.
If you read my posts more carefully, Terry, you'll see that they're not about me using Hagerty. They're about helping other people by answering the question, "How accurate are Hagerty valuations?" Which is what this thread is about.

And yes, 68C427GO! I agree the Nada guide is much more accurate, at least for this car.

·
Premium Member
17,435 Posts
is the valuation what they use when someone wants to i sure thier car?

buddy tried to i sure his 66 chevelle frame off resto big block 4 speed, dressed up like a ss without the 138 vin. He valued the car more than what Hagerty valued a 66 chevelle. it was go somewhere else or go with what Hagerty would insure it for. jim
No, at least their valuation wasn't used for any of my cars. I think their valuation tool is completely separate from their insured values.

Been a while, but it used to be that IF you valued your car over $25k, they wanted an appraisal to verify... Under $25k, they just needed a few pictures to be emailed in to them... they also seem to frown upon "modified" cars, so maybe the 136 with a Big Block is highly modified, and they didn't like that. But as someone else says, their valuations are based on completely stock values... Were your buddies values inline with a stock Malibu value?

How many car guys do you know that under-value their cars? how many over-value, often based on what all the work cost them... Everyone I know thinks their cars are worth their weight in gold. We all know the value of an "ordinary" car (not a COPO, LS6 convertible, L88 Vette, Hemi 'Cuda, etc) is going to be far below the build/restoration costs... Right?

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
276 Posts
I like to use Keith Martin’s valuation pocket manual for getting a good estimate of current valuations based on recent auctions. Other than 2020 he has been generally spot on!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts