Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to do this. I've removed the 2 bolts and pulled the block into the interior as far as it will go, and seperated the two halfs. I would like to be able to remove the dash harness where it's not so hard on the back to work on.

I've tried to pull the wires off so the half with the fuzes will be loose from the one with the wires to the engine comparment, one did come off but the rest won't move. I don't want to break anything, other than two fried wires, the harness is perfect.

If they don't come out, when they sell new dash harnesses, how do you plug the ends into the fuze block?

Thanks, Art

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the 5/16 bolt, but nothing moved with fuze block hanging out of the firewall. Do they each pull straight out, are there any tricks. Is there any risk of breaking it. I've only one wire to replace, one for the Heating/AC controls so I could probably re route it easily, but figured I'd do it right if at all possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hanging out, as in having removed the two bolts securing it to the inside of the car on the firewall, and having pulled it back towards the rear of the car leaving it hanging as the two groups of wires that run into the engine compartment are preventing it from being pulled to the rear any further.

I'm jacking the car up this weekend and removing the wheel well, will give it one last try, otherwise I'll re-route the new wire and by pass the fuze block.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Originally posted by abowles7070:
removed the two bolts securing it to the inside of the car on the firewall, and having pulled it back towards the rear of the car leaving it hanging as the two groups of wires that run into the engine compartment are preventing it from being pulled to the rear any further.
There is a center bolt in between the tow halves of the harness plugs that go into the engine compartment. It is either a 5/16" bolt or a 3/8" bolt. On one of mine there was a retaining clip on the shaft of the bolt to where I could not take the bolt all the way out. I would have to loosen the bolt and then partially pull both plugs out of the other half that was still attached to the fuse block and then loosen the bolt some more until it came apart.
When I got mine apart they had some type of black grease that was holding it together and probably an attempt to cut down on corrosion.
Below is a shot of the one on my 74 Nova which should be very similiar to yours.

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/pageA13.html

If you look at my picture of what I had to work with you can see some of that tar like stuff on it. I used some Gumout and reducer to clean it all off. When I get to the point of putting the car back together I will take some emery cloth and scuff the male terminals up to polish them and then put on some dialectric grease.
I may also take the time to pull them out and solder the crimped on connector ends so that there will be even less chance of corrosion later. I want to the car to last a long time after I get done with it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Alsmost forgot. If you are needing to replace a wire or two I would clean the connector real good and you can release a terminal out of the connectors so that it can be repaired. I think I used some small jewelers screwdrivers to release the lock tabs and then before I reinstalled the connector end carefully pried the lock tab back into place. You can carefully uncrimp the connector from the wire and then crimp and solder on a new one.
When I added the factory gauges to my car I had to add a tach signal wire on the bulkhead connector and I used parts off of a donor fuse block and harness.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts