Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything abuot dryers. My new dryer keeps blowing fuses can't seem to get ahold of an electrician. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well obviously it's either 1. Drawing too much current or 2. It's got a short inside.

How much current is your dryer rated to pull? Since you said your dryer "blows fuses", I'm assuming you must have an older home with a fuse box instead of circuit breakers? (unless they put fuses inside of dryers) How many amps are your fuses?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eltc dryer 30amp fuses.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What's the required power for the dryer? Should be towards the front of the owners manual or on the back of the dryer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John its rated at115/230 volt min.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah figured that. The 115v is for the control circuit and the 230v is for the dryer elements. Need the power or current number. It's called out in Watts or Amps.
A lot of times they will tell you in the owners manual what the minimum size wire or the minimum circuit to run to the dryer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would this be it a seperate 30 amp circuit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How olds the dryer? And did it just start all of a sudden? Has it been running fine before? Is it blowing both fuses or just one at a time?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The dryer should take a standard 230/30 amp circuit but asking before I make any suggestions. This net repair is tough sometimes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dryer is new. We had an old dryer did the same thing. yes it started it all of a sudden. The old dryer quit heating ,we thought it was the dryer. Guess should have checked the fuses before buying a new one. :(

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Aj's question:
Does it blow one fuse or both of the fuses in the 230 line?
Does it blow fuses without the dryer plugged in?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It blows both usually sometimes just the one for the heating element.No it dose not blow them with the dryer unplugged. Pat it started doing it with the old dryer. :confused:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Got a decent meter and are you comfortable plugging it into the wall socket? If so, I'll post some information on dryer wiring.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
Looks like John's got ya' covered (sorry to but in John)

what type of fuses?

Sometimes the fuse holders are the cause for fuses to blow especially on old cartridge type fuses when they get old and don't hold the fuses tight enough.
Do the blown fuses look like they have been hot?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you are right Bill, maybe I should leave this to a pro. Thanks for your help John.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts