Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a Hotel in Waterbury CT. last weekend and it was full of Chevelles. An original 9000 mile LS6, a 73 Motion Baldwin, 2 Z16's, a 68 SS L89, and many more nice Chevelles. Ohh Yeah it was the NCOA "Chevelle Showdown". Just thought I'd share that with all of you.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Were the two '70's that won last year there? They were a black LS5 from NY that was built in Canada (the license plate said "Skunk" on it) and a red 396/375 with red interior. They scored 999 and 998, respectively.
The Fathom blue LS6 with only 9000 miles on it was Bill Bonhams. Nice original car. I like to see cars like that, to see some of the factory's work. (like the grinder marks in the lead on the seam for the quarter to the roof) If you were to put these marks in a restoration, you'd probably get points taken OFF for them!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Yes, the "Skunk" car was there, very nice! Also a couple of Z16's. But I think the coolest car there was a "one off" 1995 El Camino SS. The car was a prototype that GM made, it's basically a Caprice wagon with the rear chopped and made into a truck bed. It was done up in Impala SS trim,wheel's,LT1,green Impala paint,leather etc.....VERY cool!
I just don't understand why GM never built this car, everyone there was drooling over it and asking how they could get one? Sadly, GM has discontinued the "B" body's. Oh well.
Just another aside, NCOA was charging $5 to the public to see the Chevelle's, can anyone say RIPOFF!!!

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

G

·
They all drove to the meet, right, all the chevelles? Can you say trailer queen!

Man I'm glad to be rid of the show car crap, zero fun! I never saw them charge for the public to walk around a parking lot to look at cars. Even the NCRS pukes never had nerve to do that at their regional meets.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
66 Posts
Want to go to a rip-off? Try the Fall Nationals in Springfield, Mo. this coming year. Twenty Eight dollars for myself,wife, and 13 yr old son. Lot's of cars, but only about 20 that impressed me.

[This message has been edited by RobertD (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good point about the grinder marks in the quarter to roof Dave!My LS6 has the same marks!I always hear comments from people about how sloppy it looks.Sadly when my LS6 gets her first resto I probably wont replicate it.Just like the factory overspray from the black stripes going into the trunk area!

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Went to the Chevelle showdown also. There were some really nice cars there. Speaking of quarter to roof seams, my 69 SS (All original) has two wavey seems that are very noticable but that is the way the factory did it and I would not change a thing.

Point of interest; I just stopped at a place called Northwest Auto Sales in Canton, OH. He had the usual overpriced so-so resto's to sell but he also had a 70 Chevelle SS 396 with 400 original miles. It was a cream puff. If you are ever that way and like 70 Chevelles, it is worth a look. Warning though, the guy running the place gives the impression that you being there, you are wasting his time. He is a jerk. But the car is neat, and if your lucky, he might let you cast your eyes upon it. I asked to see under the hood and he said NO.

G

·
I drove up with two other Maryland Chevelle Club Members to spend a few hours there. The prez counted 118 cars on the showfield and about 20-30 wall-flower Chevelles. Most of the cars were resto-type cars. Not many modified cars. They were all very nice!

You will find out that the "official count" will be in the 250 range, which others involved with the show call that number "EXTREMELY GENEROUS"!

I was unable to attend the Chevell-A'Bration '99 and do not know the official count, but I believe it blew Chevelle Showdown away!

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.