Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm not the kind of person to jump on the 'good cause' bandwagon. I don't like whales, and I don't care if people smoke or not.

But every one in a while something comes along which truely is deserving of our time and attention. This is one of those things.

Hot Rod Deluxe is a new magazine by Peterson Pub. (The people who do 'Hot Rod'). It's not the usual car mag in that it centers around things like sleds and hi-boys. There won't be and Mustangs, anf there won't be any Chevelles. The first isse was a one shot to test the waters, and now they're looking for opinions on if they should run a second issue or not.

If you'd like to help out, please check out this web site: http://members.xoom.com/hrdeluxe/issue2.html It's been set up by the guy behind the magazine at Peterson. Yes, it's an attempt to keep himself employed, but it's also a really cool magazine.

There's a web form you can fill out and post back to him.

Ok, I'm off the bandwagon.

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am definetly the type of person that enjoy's good craftsmanship. I can appreciate the time and effort that people put into a vehicle, and the vehicles in Deluxe are without question, works of art.

Unfortunately, these works of art don't really get my gears turning. These cars do have their place in our hobby and it's nice to see them at the shows. I guess that I'm tired of seeing these cars with a 450-500 hp big block cruising around the fairgrounds at idle. What I'm saying is that it's a waste to build a fast car to go slow. It'd be cool to see a deuce run a full 1/4 on the street or track, but that's not likely to happen.

But, they should be supported. If they race, I'll support em.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
(formerly Skunkynuggets)
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if we're speaking of the same magazine - I don't think any cars like that were featured in the first HRD. There was an interview with Mike Ness, a story about a Burbank car club that has their hot rods built with flatheads and stuff straight from the '50s, music reviews, and a few other things. Its entire point is that it doesn't want to be Street Rodder or any of the other old-fogey magazines (like Car Craft and Hot Rod).
Part of the reason is that its targetted audience couldn't afford a built big-block or high-dollar Deuce.

Thanks to the first poster for the tip - I sent off my survey (and asked Aaron for some info about the Von Dutch garage people)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Byfield,
I put in a vote for em. The flame-thrower thing was cool.

Tedster,
If you're ever in the SoCal area & Run Whatcha Brung comes to town...you'll be supporting a lot of cars. I saw approx. 10 23-34 Ford & Chevys run down the track & even a fully restored 51 Merc "LeadSled", which ran a respectable 15 sec. run & it's a 4500 lb. car!

mrpowell,
I met Mike Ness at a cruise once...didn't really talk...to busy with his greaser buddies. And I personally do not like Mr. VonDutch for a statement & letter he made denouncing Christians & telling the world to go to hell. He also stated that he used us all for money & could careless about any of our pathetic lives. Really caring guy!

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu-Temecula, CA
genxrodsandcustoms.8m.com
surferwagons.8m.com
www.angelfire.com/ca4/67malibu

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think Hot Rod has gone down tubes. If i wanted to read about Hot Wheels i get a magazine for that plus they seem to nothing anymore but self promote. They also killed a great magazine when they bought them and put them out of business, namely Drag Racing Monthly. Hell Hot Rod aint even owned by Peterson anymore its some European company.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, sounds like VD was a bitter little man before he died. I'm hoping to get the catalogue from the people who are doing the "Von Dutch Garage" stuff, though - Christmas is coming and one of those flamed refrigerators would look awfully cool in a dorm room.

Mike Ness is coming out with a new album in November - hopefully he'll tour again - I missed him last time. I like his solo stuff much better than his Social D work (though a lot of that is excellent).

------------------
Matthew Powell
Arlington, TX
~'70 Chevelle, soon
~'65 Vespa scooter, not-so-soon
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
948 Posts
Bob,
It's now EmapPeterson. Peterson is still a very large & productive company though. Hot Rod DELUXE is a totally different magazine then Hot Rod. It's more about flame-throwers, articles on rock n' roll/punk guys that love classic cars, & car culture. I agree that Hot Rod sucks. I have a subscription to Car Craft & that, I believe, is the number one car magazine out there for people on a budget such as myself. I don't consider a $20,000 Hot Rod car a budget. CC killed El Cheapo when they put a 454 in it. And Hot Rod is trying to be like CC now. When's it gonna end?

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu-Temecula, CA
genxrodsandcustoms.8m.com
surferwagons.8m.com
www.angelfire.com/ca4/67malibu

·
Registered
17 Posts
While we're on the subject of car magazines - anyone else read Road and Track? Just curious, because it seems that very few musclecar/domestic enthusiasts read it...

------------------
Matthew Powell
Arlington, TX
~'70 Chevelle, soon
~'65 Vespa scooter, not-so-soon
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt: I read R&T. One major reason is to read Peter E's stories. He lives within 20 min of my home, and it's kind of cool to see him write about local roads/events.

I used to get Motor Trend and quit after the first year. It just simply sucked in comparison. Autoweek was cool, but I couldn't keep up with the weekely delivery. I ended up tossing more issues that I read.

Kurt

------------------
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Gold Founding Member
5,806 Posts
Funny you mentioned Peter Egan, I subscribe to Cycle World just for his article's. Has he ever writen a book or a collection of articles?
Back to the subject, I like reading about the stuff in HRD also, I would also like to see an article on Big Daddy Roth and to see more of his work.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396, 71 Z28-RS, 95 Z28 Convertible. Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Hot Rod has certianly gone down the tubes hasnt it, its like thier showing cars built with the "throw money at it" attitude. I liked it when it showed lots of feature cars, and not these high dollar show only machines. I was supprised that they featured that 66 Bonneville a few months back. I am a subscriber and will continue to renew when it comes up each year because 10 dollars is still a fair price to me. But if it goes to 19.95 like it did one other time Im not renewing it. I still perfer Car Craft anyway.

Chris R.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris R: HRD is nothing like the standard HR magazine. IT's much more interesting and fun to read.

Then again, that could just be due to it being full of cars that don't generally make it to the magazine rack

Ron: There is a book, but it's just a collection of the Side Glances articles from R&T. I don't think he's ever done any writting outside of his columns.

Kurt

------------------
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.