Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's where I am:
Tried to start the '72 350SB(after 18 mo resto).
The engine cranked very slowly. Only had 11 volts on battery. Tried to jump it with 03 Chevy Avalanche, still slow engine turn. Charged battery overnight stayed at 11V.

Now I replaced reman starter and put in new Delco battery reading 12volts. Enine now cranks BUT, the HOT OIL GEN lights come on as soon as the battery is connected w/o ignition on?

Could I have burned up voltage regulator?
I pretty sure the starter is wired correctly. I did not have this problem when I first tried to start up?

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #1037
'72 Chevelle Convertible (all SS options, no SS badging)
'95 Mustang GT convertible (the wife's)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like either the wire on coil (+) or the yellow wire on the solenoid/starter is in the wrong place. Disconnect those 2 and see if the lights go off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I did my resto, I had weird dash lights too; even without key in ignition. The only thing I did different before and after was a "solid state" replacement for the regulator. I substituted the old mechanical one back in and that solved my problems.

Maybe carefully check the plug and all 4 wires how they mate with the regulator spade lugs. Also try diconnecting/substituting the suppression capacitor (condenser) on the side of the regulator.

Also bad grounds can do really really weird things. Make sure engine is grounded to frame; body is grounded to frame, and battery negative is grounded to frame/engine.

Good luck..... Terry S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts