Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '64 Elky and this is a weird problem. When the vehicle is running the blinker lights are both 'glowing' and the fuel guage reads empty. The screw holding on the chrome dash bezel below the speedometer gets extremely hot. I changed the headlight switch and every thing was ok for about one week. Now, it is starting again. Is there a short or what?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The reason your bezel is getting hot is because the screw your talking about is the grounding screw, take out the screw and slide off the spring clip that the screw goes through and clean it up. you will also have to clean up the metal part of the dash where the clip slips on to. Also i would add a extra grond strap. good luck.

------------------
1965 El Camino
350-turbo 350
"someday it will be finished"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I buy the grounding strap at an auto store? Where do I connect the grounding strap? Thanks for the help.

------------------
'64 El Camino
'00 DBG Vette

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just make one. It's a lot cheaper than buying something. Use a couple of eyelet type lugs. Round opening things you put a screw though. Use maybe 18 gage wire. Bigger is ok if you have something laying around. Think mine goes from a screw around the fuel gage to one of the holes to the left of the steering column. There's a few small holes in the bottom metal dash. Clean the areas where the lug touches. Bigmoe's idea is also something to do along with the strap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts