Team Chevelle banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the horseshoe shifter in accordance with the reference I got from searching the web site. However, when sitting the console on the assembly, it sits too far to the passenger side.
Is the shifter assembly supposed to be dead center in the middle of the transmission and drive shaft tunnel?

[ 11-15-2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: jnorth ]

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I have the console out of my 70 right now. The horseshoe looks to be dead center on the tunnel

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just replaced the original horseshoe shifter(to save the original) in my 68 with an aftermarket replacement one and changed it over to the 4 speed detent for overdrive. The new one didn't fit as the original one did. It sat off to the left and hit the chrome trim plate on the console. I used the original holes from the factory that was perfect for the factory shifter.

So if you don't have an original GM shifter it may be the overseas out of spec model.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it from True Connections. I am converting column to floor. I have one factory "DIMPLE" on the trans hump that appears to match up with the left side hole on the shifter base, which I used as my basis for install.... but, when all was said and done, when I sat the console on to the shifter, it sits too far to the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Drew,

I have had the same issues in the past. I solved the problem by slotting the holes in the horseshoe shifter bracket, aligning the shifter with the center console and then tightening the shifter fasteners.

One thing that you will find as you move forward is that very few things line up to todays fit and finish standards.

Good Luck

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I think I am going to remove the assembly, bolt the console to the assembly, seat the entire grouping to the area - once I find the exact middle of the trans hump and drive shaft tunnel as a base point. Then mark my required holes, drill the pilot holes and install. I know this isn't brain surgery but I do want it to look and sit right!

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Drew,

Just went thru the same fiasco, aftermarket stuff is such a PIA. I had to elongate holes in the shifter as well as the console, I still don't have it perfect but I've surrended to something close.

Good luck.

Rich

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again, thanks to everyone for your responses. I guess I am too much of a perfectionist - but learning very fast to asjust. As soon as I have the time, I am going to go forward with the plan I mentioned in a prior reply. Thank you again and stay tuned!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts