Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My LQ9 belys make a horrible nonstop squeal once the electric fans kick on. If I drive down the road and come to a stop, I can hear my electric fans kick on, then about 10 feet down the road or once I hit the gas pedal I get this awful non stop belt squeal. I tried a new belt, and that didn't fix it. It's almost as if once there is a load on the alternator it starts. The alternator is rather new also. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is not a stock belt system. Its an aftermarket kit to clear the procharger(which isn't hooked up). The tensioner is new and I believe its working. It puts pressure on the belt like it's supposed too. Maybe ill go down a belt size

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
We'll assume it's a serpentine system as you have a tensioner. In my experience, serpentine belt squeaking is a result of bad pulley, miss alignment or dirt between the pulleys and belt.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
After it squeeks for a few minutes check the pullys temperature. The one slipping will be hotter due to friction. You can do this with a wet finger tip like you would check exhaust header temp looking for a inop cylinder. Also does the alt pully have enough belt wrap around it?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After it squeeks for a few minutes check the pullys temperature. The one slipping will be hotter due to friction. You can do this with a wet finger tip like you would check exhaust header temp looking for a inop cylinder. Also does the alt pully have enough belt wrap around it?
That's a good idea, I never would have thought of that. The pulley does have a good amount of belt around it. Im just puzzled because I can start the car, warm it up for a few minutes, pull down the road, get it sideways a few times without the squeal. Once the fans kick in and there is a draw, that's when the squealing is non stop

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
That's a good idea, I never would have thought of that. The pulley does have a good amount of belt around it. Im just puzzled because I can start the car, warm it up for a few minutes, pull down the road, get it sideways a few times without the squeal. Once the fans kick in and there is a draw, that's when the squealing is non stop
1.) Could be a bearing on the fan (s) motor.
A.) Recreate this same scenario again, only this time after the squeak begins unplug fan motor: Result?

2.) Could be related to belt. Same as above #1. Recreate scenario.
A.) After squeak begins, undo belt and start: Result?

If either one of the above produce a change, pursue that route to remedy.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, sorry it took me a little bit to get back, my youngest had some health issues. So I took some time yesterday to figure out the belt slipping. Once I got the car up to temp and got the belt squealing, I put tension on the tensioner and the squeal was gone when hitting the throttle. Then I it did it again, no tension and the squeal is coming off the power steering pump. So I am going to try a smaller belt and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
if this thing is procharged i would go with the green belt ,stock belts will slip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts