Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn doesn't work and I'm not really sure where to even start. I'm going to hook up the battery directly to ensure that it actually works. Assuming that is fine, where do I go from there? Searching the forum, I find mention of the relay and such, but I don't even know where to find that to look at. Or, for the matter, the button/switch for the horn itself. How do I get into the steering wheel properly to take a look? Do I need to dismantle the entire steering column??

Thanks!

- John...

·
Gold Founding Member
63,816 Posts
Originally posted by jgoggan:
My horn doesn't work and I'm not really sure where to even start. I'm going to hook up the battery directly to ensure that it actually works. Assuming that is fine, where do I go from there? Searching the forum, I find mention of the relay and such, but I don't even know where to find that to look at. Or, for the matter, the button/switch for the horn itself. How do I get into the steering wheel properly to take a look? Do I need to dismantle the entire steering column??

Thanks!

- John...
1970 Chevelle I assume

The horn relay is down on the left side of the core support, near the voltage regulator.

You can jumper it from it's "BAT" terminal to the horn wire to test the horn itself.
If you get a spark but no sound, the horn might be able to be adjusted.

There should be a black wire that comes from the column that grounds the horn relay operating coil to energize it and pull in the contacts and jumpering that wire terminal to a good ground will test the relay.

There's more (like turning the tone adjusting screw on the horns and removing the steering wheel if necessary) but check the horn and horn relay first.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok -- sounds good. What about getting into the steering wheel itself to check the button(s)? Can I get under there easily without hurting anything?

- John...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok -- here's an update on the horn status now that I've been messing with it for a couple of hours...

Applying positive battery directly to the horns gets one of them to work (after tapping it a bit to loosen it up). The other seems completely dead, but I can live with that for now.

Going up to the relay, if I pull the black wire coming from the column and ground it, I can hear/feel the relay go and the horn works! So, looks like my relay is good!

So, now, the problem seems to lie in the steering wheel itself (or the grounding thereof). I'm not sure where to go from here...

What is actually inside the steering wheel for the horn? Is there a switch or what? To be honest, I'm not even sure where I should be pushing for the horn -- is it in the middle of the steering wheel (under the SS logo)? Or on the sides? Or somewhere else?

Looking under my dash, there are several hanging wires that I hope to track down over the coming weeks. Right off the steering column up towards the wheel end, there is even a 4" or so black wire just hanging there... I tried grounding that just for fun to see if the horn might work, but no luck...

Going from the relay, the black wire for the column goes into a big bundle of wires, so I haven't been able to track that back directly yet...

Any recommendations on where to go from here?

Also, just to note it, none of my dash lights work except for the one behind the AC. Looks like all the ones on the printed circuit are dead. So, maybe my printed circuit is bad too? Or, maybe it and the column would draw ground from the same place and it isn't getting one (i.e. my horn not working is related to my dash lights not working because of the ground)?

I really don't know -- but wanted to provide whatever info I had just in case...

Thanks for the help!

- John...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's a long thin connector mounted on the column under the dash. It has sort of a ribbon harness running up the column. Has about 10 wires in it. One of them is black. With a pointed probe and a clip lead, try grounding the black one, the horn wire. Piece of coathanger filed to a point might make a good probe.

Horn has nothing to do with dash lights or dash ground.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok -- grounded the pin and the horn went just fine. So, I finally pulled the cover off of the steering wheel (I didn't realize it was just two screws before or I would have done this first) and discovered that there is NOTHING connected inside! There appears to be a little point where a wire would slip on -- but there is no wire coming into the steering wheel itself. So, of course I have no horn: since I have nothing inside to be the wire that would get grounded.

So -- where do I go from here? There is a black wire coming off of that multi-wire block out of the column, so it must go inside -- and just sit there, I guess. I assume that I need to get the steering wheel off so that I can see in the column and find that wire, correct?

Then it looks like it is just a matter of connecting it to the post under the steering wheel cover, yes? How/where do I feed it through from the column to get it into that part of the steering wheel? I see a few holes, but I'm not sure they all even go through...

Thanks for all the help/hints!

- John...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Check out Tony's article. There's a white post that's shown in the second picture down. Near the center shaft above the lock plate. This white plastic post comes up through a hole in the steering wheel. See it coming through on yours? Should have a couple of "ears" towards the top.
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/56459/

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah! That's what is missing on mine! I was able to get a steering wheel puller and lock plate puller (thanks to AutoZone's free loaner service!) today. I pulled everything off and the horn contact piece on mine has no post -- it's been cut away. What it looks like is that somewhere along the line, someone put it on wrong -- it didn't line up for them with the steering wheel being straight -- so they just cut it off to make it all fit together and have the wheel be "correct." I see now what they did wrong -- I'm not sure HOW they didn't see that it was easy to fix/shift to the proper position though. But, no, they decided to cut the post off (and, therefore, the horn contact that must come through that post, right?)...

In any case, I see now exactly what the problem is, at least. Basically, I need a replacement horn contact piece with the post... Then what goes inside of that? I assume that there must be some part that goes in that post to touch the contact at the other end -- then has a clip that goes on the post that is in the steering wheel for the horn, correct?

Is this horn contact (and whatever goes in the post) a standard part that I can get like at AutoZone or some other such store -- or is it something I should be checking Ground Up or Year One for? I did some searching at Year One, but couldn't find it yet -- unless it is HC642, which I'm not sure from the description (and there is no picture). Plus, again, I think I'd need whatever goes IN that post too -- that connects to the steering wheel metal itself under the cover...

Thanks!

- John...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The thing that's broken off is part of the cancel or cancelling cam. All aftermarket houses carry them. The thing that goes over it is a horn plunger. These were used until the early 80s. A junk yard should have them. Also check with your GM dealer. Believe the part number on the plunger is 474102 (I think,I think). Might be some dealer near you that shows one in stock at partsvoice.
www.partsvoice.com

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok -- thanks for the info. The closest dealer with that part is just over 100 miles from me -- but maybe someone can ship it. Then again, if I'm going to have it shipped, I can probably find it online somewhere...

As for the plastic part itself, I'm still trying to find the proper match at YearOne or somewhere similar. They had just closed for the day today when I went to call. I'll try them on Monday and see if they can determine the part.

- John...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by jgoggan:

As for the plastic part itself, I'm still trying to find the proper match at YearOne or somewhere similar. They had just closed for the day today when I went to call. I'll try them on Monday and see if they can determine the part.
The plastic part??...the cancelling cam? Those are carried by just about anyone. Look like this?
I might head down to the junkyard tomorrow. I'll see if there's a horn plunger down there.
http://www.grumpystruckparts.net/item342436.ctlg

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's the part that I meant. I didn't know if it was "common" or not. Now I know.
So -- is that something where I can just give a part number and pick one up at AutoZone or find an ACDelco part or something? Or do I still need to pretty much order it? Is the one that you linked to the proper part for the Chevelle then? Or was that just an example to show the picture? (Sorry to be so ignorant there... Just isn't something I'm familiar with yet and don't want to go ordering the wrong thing.)

As for the plunger, please let me know if you find one! Thanks!

- John...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Actually the non-chain auto parts houses may have the cancelling cam laying around. What I showed a picture of is what the car takes. A fairly common swap meet item.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks much, John!

- John...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just want to make sure you got the second one... Thanks again!

- John...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the parts today and the horn is now working fine (well, only one of my horns works, but you get the point)!

Thanks again, John! Much appreciated!

- John...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts