Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased a 70 malibu with no working horn. I purchased an after market horn for it, but as for as the wiring goes I am clueless to what goes where. I will tell you what I have currently set up. I have the ground wire from the horn grounded up on the front frame, the red wire (power) goes to the front through the fire wall and by the fuse box. What I want to do is connect that wire to the wire that leads up through the column and to the steering wheel; however, I don't know which wire it is in the pin connector, or if that is even the way I go about it. also I don't have the connector or wire that goes from the column to the steering wheel, do you know where I can get that or can I rig something up. Thanks for any info with this matter.
nic

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is there a horn relay still mounted on the radiator support, above the voltage regulator? Standing in front of the car, this would be to the left of the radiator and near the top of the support. If not, you need to buy a 12 volt relay. One side of the relay coil receives 12 volts and the other side of the coil goes to the horn contactor in the steering wheel. When you press the horn button, this grounds the relay coil, completing the circuit and pulling in the relay contacts. The horn(s) itself: one lead (usually the case) is grounded. The "hot" lead is wired to one of the relay contacts (normally "open"). The other side of the contact is wired to 12 volts. When the relay "pulls in", the contacts close and the 12 volts is fed to the horn. First, check to see if the relay is still there. If not, pick up a 12 volt relay at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc, and wire it up as I described. Should work fine.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
595,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help, I know that I don't have the relay because I was the one to rip it out (it wasn't hooked up to anything and it was painted over so I couldn't see what wires was what. so I will get the new relay, but I was curious the one wire that leads up to the steering wheel, the wiring up through the column is tricky so is there already an exsisiting wire that goes up through the column ? what color is it? thanks nic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts