Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car, the horns had been taken off. I bought a Grant #773 GT steering wheel with the #3196 installation kit to replace my broke up SS wheel. I also bought a horn from Auto Zone to use until I can find the correct one. There are 2 wires coming out of the steering column (1 black and 1 white) that went to each contact on my SS wheel. I connected them to the horn button on the new wheel per the Grant instructions. Installed my horn and used the horn wire that was on my car. Nothing happens at all
. How can I check the 2 wires in the steering column? Are they only grounds? I guess I don't understand how they are suppose to be wired. Is the post on the horn relay that the horn wire comes from suppose to be positive or not? It's probably simple but it's got me stumped. Thanks
Jody

------------------
jodysss396 (or Jody)
1969 Chevelle SS396
Fathom Green
Numbers Matching

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The wire to your horn button simply completes the relay circuit to ground. Your relay will have a constant 12 volt source to it's coil, and another constant 12 volt source for the horn itself. When you ground the relay coil with the horn button, the electromagnet activates and closes the high current contactor which carries the 12 volts to the horn itself. The horn itself is grounded to it's mounts.

A simple test is to just take the wires going to your Grant horn kit and touch them (use a jumper if necessary) to a known good ground source (I use the column drop bolts).

If horn doesn't blow with this test, then you need to see if you can hear the relay clicking when you touch the wire to ground. If not, check for voltage to the hot sides of the relay.

You might also have a bad relay or a bad ground to the horn itself (such as corrosion or paint where the horn is mounted).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had trouble getting the horns on my 66 to work. Found out that the problem was caused by the doughnut that connects the steering box to the shaft in the column. The doughnut clamps onto the steering box and bolts to the steering column shaft. There is a wire (connection) incorporated in the doughnut that transfers continuity (ground from the horn ring) from the steering shaft to the steering box to chassis ground. The horn relay always has 12 volts applied to it. The ground post of the relay goes to the horn ring in the column. When you press the horn ring, it applies ground through the shaft, doughnut, steering box and frame.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/bobm_SC1
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found my horn problem. The contact ring under the steering wheel that rides on the spring loaded pin was not making contact. I cleaned it and the pin. Also the 2 wires that complete the ground wasn't contacting the contact ring because they were loose at the little flared end. Now my horns work perfectly.

cjlandry- Thanks for educating me on how the horns are wired. It surely helped me find my problem.
Thanks Bob M for your help.
Jody

------------------
jodysss396 (or Jody)
1969 Chevelle SS396
Fathom Green
Numbers Matching

1 - 4 of 4 Posts