Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO I need the horn relay on a 69 chevelle.

I am trying to clean up a car that someone stripped the AC out of and changed the Alt. so I am trying to clean up some wires.

I would like to get rid of the voltage regulator and the horn relay if possible.

Plus there is a large guage black wire on the horn relay just wrapped up and zipped tied was this the high speed realy wire for the fan on the AC.

Thanks Stephe

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Uhh, if you plan on having a horn, YES.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
You can eliminate the voltage regulator if you choose to put on an internally regulated alternator. Just dumping the regulator willl not do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess to rephrase the question

Is there an alternative to the big bulky horn relay mouted on the radiator support like mounting a small relay for the horn and and alternative to the other wire that run off the horn relay.

And I have already put an internally regulated alt on the car

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you want the horn relay can go. However you will need a junction block in its place. Something to tie the battery, alternator, and forward lamp harness together.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
you can use one of those multi purpose relays for your horn
not sure of a part number but ask your local auto parts store
they use them mostly for lighting
hook the power (12v) up to the one side of coil and to one side of relay contacts
on the other side of relay cotacts is your output to horns
and your ground side of coil will be the wire from your horn button
then when you hit the horn button it will complete the power circuit to the coil of the relay causing it to close the relay contacts and passing the 12v through the contacts and power the horn so it blows

1 - 7 of 7 Posts