Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horn relay wire diagram in english. have orange with black strip, connect to relay and the dome light stays on and the relay buzzes. remove and horn works. whats it for??
if someone could look at the relay and pass me some info please..
1971 chevelle malibu 350 2bl
Bob Seary

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Bob

That wire is for the "Key minder" circuit. When the drivers door is opened and the key is in the ignition the horn relay buzzes as a reminder to remove the key. It along with the dome light are grounded at the door jamb switch. When the door is opened the switch closes to ground both circuits. I suspect this switch is not opening when the door is closed.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Elree you are faster than me this morning, but since I typed this up off-line I'll throw it out anyway.

No pun but it sounds like the relay isn't the problem. The orange striped wire is part of the key minder circuit. This reminds you that the key is in the ignition as you open the drivers door. When the orange wire is grounded the relay buzzes, which is what the relay is doing.
Problem is the orange striped wire is grounded. This wire goes to contacts by the key switch. When the key is in, these contacts close. The other end of the ignition switch contacts go to the left door switch. When the door is open, the wire gets grounded and makes the relay buzz.
I would disconnect the wire off the relay and disconnect the turn signal connector on the column. For safety disconnect the battery. With an ohmmeter, measure the key minder wires to ground on the turn signal connector (left door closed). This should tell you if the problem is under the hood, in the column, or towards the drivers door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything working, The horn relay was wired wrong when i got the car, never thought of the buzzing from a 71 chevelle.. haha
Thanks for your help guys
Bob Seary

[This message has been edited by bseary (edited 04-15-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts