Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am finishing up re-wireing my car and my engine re-build. i have all the electrical hooked back up, and everything works, except for my horns! i disconnected all of my ac wireing. how is the horn realy supposed to be wired?

|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
| |
| |
| slot screw screw |
|(horns) (+) (nothing)|

------------------
69 Chevelle Malibu
My Chevelle

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
I've got the same problem. I haven't figured it out yet. I'm wondering if the horn relay is bad.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The screw is for the heavy red full time 12V batt conn. The slots are for the green(horn)and black(control grd. from horn button)wires. If the relay "clicks" when horn is pushed look for a problem toward the horn. If not you may have reversed the two plug in's I think they only work one way.

Rene
66-Malibu

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my relay has two screws on it and two slots

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
My car's getting some mechanical work done to it. When I get it back (later this week hopefully) I'll scope it out and post a picture of my stock relay.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Hey 69_Malibu,

I took a look at my relay on my '70.

The 2 screws are basically your junction point for the +12 volt circuit feeders. Now for the plugs.

FRONT OF CAR

__ A
......... __ C
__ B

________
...... {} {} <---Screw terminals

A= Small black wire (this comes from the actual horn button(s) on the steering wheel

B= Larger black wire that goes directly to the horns in the front of the radiator

C= Mine is a pink wire with a black stripe. This gives the ground signal for the key warning buzzer. (This is also the hardest to see slot since it's closest to the radiator and behind the screw terminals).

Hope that helps.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 08-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 08-31-2000).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot joe, that really helps, but i have one more question for you, the pink buzzer wire, i removed it from my car, since it was not hooked up and no one knew what it was. well anyways, i would like to put it back in now that i know what it is, on the fire wall connector, do you know which slot it slips into?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, I had the same problem on my 70. The buzzer hooks up to (I think) terminal 4. If your horn only clicks when you hit it then you know you have the horn and buzzer leads reversed. If you have a chassis service manual it covers this very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts