Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF a horn relay was bad, wouldn't it also affect the starting of the vehicle since the fuseable link is wired there?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: since removing horn relay and installing missing horn wire, 4-way flashers and horn do not work. 4-ways worked prior to this. What do these have in common? are they fused separately? (haven't checked yet).

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE 2: Removed 4-way flasher relay from fuse panel (kinda loose) and reinstalled fully - flashers now working again. Checked for horn fuse and found there is no fuse labeled "horn". So back to first question.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Like <whats his name> ^ said. :D
You COULD completely remove the horn relay as long as you connected all the wires from the "BAT" buss bar back together.
naturally the horn or the key minder buzzer wouldn't work :D
Dean, his name is 'Senior Tech Team'.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Owing to my Arizona heritage, it would be Señor Tech Team...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well when I "ground" the horn button, I have no continuity thru the column to the relay. Key buzzer works normally but black plug into relay that comes thru fuse block has no power when depressing horn. When tracing harness down steering column I came across a manual shift reverse/key lock switch bolted to the bottom of column (not plugged in of course, my car is an auto). I don't suppose the factory would have put it there so I have to assume my steering column has been swapped at some point from a 4-speed car (like everything else on this franken'velle). Anyway, knowing that, who knows what else got messed up in doing that swap. I guess I don't need a horn that bad. Maybe someday I'll just hide a dedicated wire to the relay.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,275 Posts
Well when I "ground" the horn button, I have no continuity thru the column to the relay. Key buzzer works normally but black plug into relay that comes thru fuse block has no power when depressing horn.
The black wire isn't supposed to have power, it gets grounded by the horn button and sends a ground to the horn relay to energize it.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My mistake. I meant the black wire has no continuity when grounded at the horn button. When I run a separate ground wire to where the black wire plugs into relay, the horn works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts