Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two issues in need of help, please

1) HORN: i have this add-on steering wheel in my car that the guy before my just screwed on. there is a hole in which I can see the contact for the horn button. If i put a small screw driver, or any other piece of metal, in the hole, the horn sounds. what is the piece that comes out of the hole and would i guess get pushed by the center cap on the steering wheel. and, where might i get it?

2) TURN SIGNALS: the small black plastic piece that holds the contacts and wires at the base of the turn signal stalk is cracked. this prevents there from being a true "center" position on the turn signal, so when i engage left or right (which both work), and then disengage either, my righ brake light fails when i hit the brake. if i play with the stalk, i can get the brake light to work fine, but the whole process is such a pain that i have stopped using the turn signals altogether. i found a turn signal relay on cjauto.com. is that what i need? it's 50 bucks - anyway i might be able to find something cheaper?

im in southern california.

thanks everyone

------------------
66 malibu w/ 327
2dr hardtop
blue
california car

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No you dont need the relay you need a new Turn Signal switch The plastic piece in the column with the wires & contacts running to it.
As far as the horn, There should be a spring and a "nail" that makes contact to the horn button when the button ground to the steering wheel this completes the switch circut of the horn relay. Chevrolet I believe still has those,tell them you need the horn button contactor set .It should include the contactor ring,nail,spring,and retainer(assembled in that order) cost is under $20
Also the horn contactor ring also serves as the cancelling cam for you turnsignals
---------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

[This message has been edited by pmullaly (edited 03-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by pmullaly (edited 03-14-2002).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts