Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a replacement sport steering wheel for the stock wheel. My stock wheel horn contact has the spring-loaded end that goes into the column and a tab that connects to a post on the wheel. The new wheel appears to need a spring contact on each end.

Can someone post a pic or two of this contact, and suggest a place to get one?

Thanks.

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint

Before
After

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Confused. There's a plastic sleeve that goes over the tabs on the horn ring. There's a spring inside. Normally one wire comes off of it. Are you saying you need two wires?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, one wire. Plastic sleeve with a tab, sticks into tube on column (slight twist locks it into place) with a spring-loaded contact for the copper (whatever) ring. Other end of the one I have has a slip-on connector that connects to a tab on the original wheel. New wheel doesn't have a tab, looks like it just wants to push against a flat contact. So, it looks like my old contact (contact/spring/wire) should be replaced with a new one (contact/spring/contact).

Right?

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint

Before
After

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sorry, I can't see it. Some aftermarket stuff used to have a wave washer to make contact. Not seeing it through words.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I did this right here's a reference picture of what I think I need.

Here's a pic of one

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint

Before
After

[This message has been edited by Cecil (edited 02-03-2003).]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Heya' Cecil, that Sprint is starting to look pretty good. You're right about the part you need. It's a solid brass center/plastic sleeve combination with no wire attached. There's a pretty good illustration in the assembly manual, option code NK4, page 12G-1.
Most of the Camaros through the '70's used a version of this same wheel and as such use these same horn button parts. I've seen a few of these parts just laying on the floor of junkyard cars after the hacksaw idiots rip out the steering wheels not realizing the horn won't work without 'em.
One tip that might save a little frustration later: make sure the round spring plate is installed with the concave surface facing out. That's the 'almost' flat plate that goes under the three screws that are insulated from ground by the plastic part noted as #3 in the assembly manual. It's a funky design because it's possible to hit the horn off-center and not bend the spring plate down enough to activate the horn. You get used to hitting the horn dead-center after you have one for a while.

Good luck pal,

Louie

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The GM parts book has the 71-72 factory sport wheels using the earlier style 64-69 standard wheel contact set.Might be worth trying it.
GM 474102 $2.50

Rene
66_Malibu

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
These are the parts you need see pic.. Make sure the kit you get has the black retaining bushing. It holds the contact pin and spring when the horn button is not in place. This kit is available from Year One. Ground Up should have it also.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I made one of those once for my Nova, using parts from a ballpoint pen and a brass rivet. I stuck the wire through the spring, and soldered it inside the rivet (same type of hollow rivet you use for leather belts etc). Works if your'e in a bind and can't find the right thing.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle:
I made one of those once for my Nova, using parts from a ballpoint pen and a brass rivet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THIS is just my style! I once "fixed" a semi-automatic .22 rifle with a ball point pen spring and most of the ink tube (yes, it was empty!).

Well done!

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint

Before
After

1 - 10 of 10 Posts