Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time the boat has seen water for 2 summers.
Got lots of admirers, complements, and picture takers.
Our jet boat is only 16ft (with a 420SB), but it is a high performance, fun boat (I'll never outgrow hotrods, on the street, water or sky). Had a good time for Father's Day.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cabinetry

Water Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Sky Cloud

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Love it, but I would never put anything but my truck on a boat ramp, Salt water here, and I used the eld in the truck Sunday for the Waverunner, there was so much growth on the ramp.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Love it..always wanted an old 70s Jetboat, will never happen .
Buddy has an identical 70..exactly like yours, 383 with a little B and M...car cooks, auto.
Love the fact you use your 70,...with a stick too! Id worry about slipping into the drink but Im a noob with that stuff.

·
Registered
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Love it..always wanted an old 70s Jetboat, will never happen .
Buddy has an identical 70..exactly like yours, 383 with a little B and M...car cooks, auto.
Love the fact you use your 70,...with a stick too! Id worry about slipping into the drink but Im a noob with that stuff.
A little trick I learned back in the 70s.
Once the boat is loaded and secured to the trailer, have a person in the boat add some power as soon as the car starts to move. The push from the jet boat (they produce lots of thrust) will help get the car up to the dry surface of the ramp and it comes right out and up tot he parking lot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Tom,Thanks for sharing! Both Chevelle and Jet-boat are awesome! It brings back memories of growing up on a lake in IN back in the early 70’s! A friend had a 455 Olds Jet-boat. Do you use a longer ski rope due to the jet drive? 😉
J.D.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love jet boats - wish I had one. In addition to my 70 SS, I have a 70 Cutlass SX455 so always wanted an Olds powered Jet boat. Also love those 71 Chevelle SS (or Camaro Z28) 5 spoke wheels on the trailer.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
DZ some say Jets arent efficient that a prop would power you around better. True?
I know nothing about old jet boats except I always wanted one. Grew up in the 70s and remember being at the colorado river...seemed most there had one. Lots of metal flake, polished alum tunnel rams I was hooked.

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
264 Posts
And just enough room for a big cooler...LOL. I did the slalom back in the day. My dad was into skiing so the whole family got into it too. Once we had 6 skiers on the back of an 18ft. Oconto Cruiser wood boat from the late 60's. There was a Johnson 100 on it and it took a while, but got all 6 up.

·
Registered
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DZ some say Jets arent efficient that a prop would power you around better. True?
I know nothing about old jet boats except I always wanted one. Grew up in the 70s and remember being at the colorado river...seemed most there had one. Lots of metal flake, polished alum tunnel rams I was hooked.
Each has its pros and cons.
A jet boat has immediate thrust and gets out of the water and up to speed quick. It will pull up skiers faster and with less effort. If you have people in the water (ie, skiers), there is no propeller to cause injury. As long as the engine is running, they will turn on a dime because the the thrust angle is changed by the nozzle. If the engine quits in a turn, THERE IS NO, repeat, NO STEERING!!!!!! A jet boat can run in shallow water without damage to the prop, prop shaft or rudder.
DO NOT PASS OVER A SKI ROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The jet intake will suck it up in a heartbeat and the impeller is immediately clogged!!! I keep a ratchet and a socket and a sharp pocket knife in the glove box. JUST IN CASE I suck a rope up in the jet intake, I go under the boat (yes I can still hold my breath for a while), remove 2 bolts that hold the intake grill and use the knife to cut away the rope from the shaft and impeller.
For me, hearing a healthy V8 on the water gives me a real high (especially with straight exhaust).

A prop boat is a little slower to get up to speed, but will have higher top speed. If the engine quits, a prop boat still has a rudder for steering. If a ski rope gets wrapped around the prop and prop shaft, it is MUCH MORE accessible. And chances are it can be unwound with having to use a knife to cut it away.

I special ordered my boat in late 72 during the jet boat craze, and paid for it (DARN, is it 50yrs old???????????). Yes, it's only 16ft (not as smooth riding as an 18ft), but it's paid for, been garage kept since new and it's a lot of fun for cruising the lakes in Okla.

Reactions: von and LeoP

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Is that an early 70's Taylor SS? There were so many boats that looked similar back in the day. I was raised with prop boats but my brother has Sidewinder with a 455. It's great for pulling the tubes around the lake.

Almost everyone towed mostly with cars when I was a kid. This is Long Beach California Marine Stadium where I spent a lot of time as a kid. Hot Rod boating was huge in Southern California back in the day. (y)

Photograph Vehicle Motor vehicle People Car

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
A jet boat has immediate thrust and gets out of the water and up to speed quick. It will pull up skiers faster and with less effort.

A prop boat is a little slower to get up to speed...
I'm going to disagree with that. Love your boat though! (y):)

I've been shooting boat races since the early 80's both at the races and the river and I've been in all of them.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Man does that look like fun. hauling butt and the sound of that mill right behind you!!

So basically jets get you moving quicker and props may have more speed overall?

Say you got a 70s era jet boat with the typical big block...is getting one to run 65-80 realistic?

last boat I was in was a friends ollld nylox...small open bow job with a good sized Mercuty outbard it his 65 easy.
Dont remember the power rating I know it was 100+

If I were to fall into some cash Id love to have one...lots of lakes out this way

·
Registered
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that an early 70's Taylor SS? There were so many boats that looked similar back in the day. I was raised with prop boats but my brother has Sidewinder with a 455. It's great for pulling the tubes around the lake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes it is.
I ordered it new in late 72 and took delivery in spring 73.
I've kept it in the garage ever since and tried to maintain it well. FOR SURE, it is NOT the fastest boat on the lake, but for sure, it is a fun hot rod on the water. Something such as a pontoon boat with a full canopy is great for lounging, but Tom Parsons is NOT a lounger!
DZ's boat has a small block 400 bored and stroked(I think) to 421!
Yep.

·
Registered
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say you got a 70s era jet boat with the typical big block...is getting one to run 65-80 realistic?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yes, a strong, well built BB will easily push a jet boat in the 80-100mph range.
And lots of premium gas at today's prices????????????????????? I did NOT vote for the guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: LeoP
1 - 20 of 30 Posts