Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a hood to cowl seal and noticed a slit on one side of the seal, its kinda hard to describe but the seal is attatched with plastic clips and the weatherstriping seal is round with a slit on one side. In my opinion the slit would face the winshield to help keep water and dirt from entering the firewall area. Is this correct?????

thanks

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
stevenb8 ,
Not only did you describe it well enuff, I also bought a new hood-to-cowl seal to go on my 70 Chevelle this winter. I just checked the rapidily deterioriating original, and lol and behold, the slit side (actually to allow you to insert the plastic or steel clips thru the flat part of the seal into the holes in the cowl) faces the engine.

They guy I bought it off of recommended 3M rubber weather stip adhesive to seal the strip down as you go.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)
eBay username: dg98adams

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
YES. You are correct.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
My 70 conv still has the original and the slit faces the windshield.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,679 Posts
This is interesting. I installed a new one from Soffseal on my '69 and it doesn't have a slit at all, just an indentation on one side. I had to cut individual slits in the bottom of the seal for each clip. It was a PITA but turned out good. von

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
There are two hood seals on a 69 Chevelle. One clips down to the cowl where the hood meets below the windshield. The other clips to the underside of the hood about 8 inches from the back of the hood. I see many restored cars without the one that clips to the hood although the holes are there for it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just checked this out with factory assembly manuals.
'68 - Split seal with many clips, direction of split not specified.
'69-'72 - Seal has clip at each end and is cemented in place. '72 shows third clip in the center.
Change to cement was a '69 running change. Assembly Manual was changer 7/27/68. Early '69's used clips. My '69 SS built in Feb. '69 at Baltimore had many plastic clips, no cement.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 11-20-99).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, it looks like the slit would go towards the winshield. I guess before I took mine off about a month ago I should of looked at it better. Thats kinda weird about the cement though mine had weatherstripping glue or cement and also had about 12 clips all along the cowl area.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
You got my curiosity up. I just counted 15 push in retainers in my original 70 conv seal. The Cowl Induction hood has a short seal on the underside on each side held with 3 clips.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.