Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of detailing the engine compartment on my 67 SS. I need to remove the hood springs and hinges in order to have them blasted and painted the proper natural finish. Any suggestions as to the best way to do this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well GRss396, When I bought my 70ss it was all in peices, Once I started putting the car back together I had accsess to a sand blaster, so I sand blast the hood hinges and painted them black, but when I put my hood back on I had problems with the hood not sitting flush with the fenders towards the back. Then I talk to a friend, I was told that you never blast your hood hinges. so I bought a new pair of GM hood hinges and now my hood sits the way it should. In hemmings motor news there are number of people that specializes in restoring hood hinges. They can replace worn bushings and place correct finish on your hinges. hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
My hinges were never the same once I removed the hood. Be really careful. Mark everything with a fine pencil. This weekend (while I have several unsuspecting male adult family members at the house for Thanksgiving) we will be removing my hood and tighting the bolts in the hinges. The orginals do not have nuts and bolts, but chrome aftermarkets do. Once they get loose, you have no choice but to remove the hinges and tighten. I too have seen reworked hinges ads for $50 each. Hemmings sounds right. Got a quote of $185 each for chroming the originals. Decided to stick with the ones I got!

Pat
70 SS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.