Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. How is Team Chevelle today?

I had a question on my aftermarket cowl hood (goodmark). I have everything aligned very well (which was a pain), including the hood. I have followed Brian Martins Basics on panel alignment, and damn that is the best thing I have ever read and actually learned something from...

Anyways, the problem I am having is when I close my hood and it latches - in the rear of the hood it sits too high by ~1/2". I can push down on the high area's and it will go into place, but is pretty tough. I have the rear of the hinges adjusted down fully to drop the rear of the hood as much as I can.

I have more room to lift the front of the hinge up, which also lowers the rear of the hood some, but then I run into the front being to high and have to force the hood down (essentially bending/tweaking it) to get it to latch into place.

My hinges are rebuilt originals and are very tight. They have not yet been lubed up yet so they bind a little when you try to close it after having the hood in the fully open position. So you have to rock the hood a little to get it to move.

Other things to note are:
The fenders are also aftermarket goodmark panels.
It's a 70'Chevelle
I am tired.

Any thoughts from anyone? Should I start with some grease in the hinges or does this matter? I was hoping to keep them clean until after I paint them... but will do what I must if this is the problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thought, is it possible my original hinge springs are too much for the lighter aftermarket hood? Because I remember the old (and heavier) flat hood closing much easier. Just a thought...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check the two pins that are on the cowl. There might be an alignment issue with the hole. If this is so might have to enlarge the holes. You can also remove them and see what happens. The place that I bought mine from installed one and this was the problem he had.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I had the same problem with my 69SS. I could not figure out what the problem was as it fit perfectly before I took the car apart for paint last year. I eventually figured out the new cowl gasket was a much harder rubber than the original and would not let the rear of the hood settle down properly. I trimmed the cowl gasket bottom in a couple of high spots and the hood now fits perfectly.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the two pins that are on the cowl. There might be an alignment issue with the hole. If this is so might have to enlarge the holes. You can also remove them and see what happens. The place that I bought mine from installed one and this was the problem he had.
I checked the pins, and yes there was some minor interference with one of them. I opened the holes up on both sides just in case. "0" interference now. It allowed the passengers side to drop a little, but not enough to make a huge difference. Thanks though I would have never thought of that. Whats the point of that pin anyway? The only thing I can think of is to keep the hood from flying backwards into the driver/passenger area and decapitating them in a collision. :confused:

I had the same problem with my 69SS. I could not figure out what the problem was as it fit perfectly before I took the car apart for paint last year. I eventually figured out the new cowl gasket was a much harder rubber than the original and would not let the rear of the hood settle down properly. I trimmed the cowl gasket bottom in a couple of high spots and the hood now fits perfectly.
No cowl gasket is installed yet. This is sheetmetal fitment only. Just trying to get new parts to line up and do all my sheetmetal work prior stepping into the paint.

After I did some more evaluation for the past hour and a half checking reference holes against the factory assembly manual I think the mounting holes in the fenders are a little to high. Like they welded the nuts slightly high. I have the hinges at the lowest point they will go in the front and back of the hinge and the hood is still too high. If I could drop the front of the hinge just another 1/8-3/16", and the back maybe 1/8" or so on both sides I think it would line right up.

Once the hood hinges are fully collapsed the front of the hood is ~1" from latching, then you have to force the hood to latch. In return the rear forced up because the hinge wond go down any further. Dropping the front will require a minor drop at the rear to maintain the rear height.

I think I might try opening up the hinge slots with the dremel to get the extra drop out of them. I'll try that maybe, its easier then relocating the fender nuts...

Thanks for the responses, I'll update you on my hinge mods.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Once the hood hinges are fully collapsed the front of the hood is ~1" from latching, then you have to force the hood to latch.QUOTE]

You need to raise the hinges. They are fully collapsed too soon, and that last inch is making them "rock" the rear of your hood up. This is a common mistake. The hood is too high, so you try to adjust it lower and lower, and it never gets better. There is a fine line between the hood hinges being to high and too low. Once you find that it will fit perfect!

Ron

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
ive got the same problem on my 70 with two repoped fenders and the original hood. i too thought that it was the cowl seal, but after tearing it off, its still a no go. what i did find out was that my left hinge was binding about an inch from closed. this kept that side elevated until i would push it down. im going out right now to bend the crap out of it and get it to stop binding.

tim

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once the hood hinges are fully collapsed the front of the hood is ~1" from latching, then you have to force the hood to latch.QUOTE]

You need to raise the hinges. They are fully collapsed too soon, and that last inch is making them "rock" the rear of your hood up. This is a common mistake. The hood is too high, so you try to adjust it lower and lower, and it never gets better. There is a fine line between the hood hinges being to high and too low. Once you find that it will fit perfect!

Ron
Well I'll be dipped in you know what!

I tried Ron's advice, and it fixed the problem. Who would have thought to go up on the hinges to lwer the hood!:clonk:

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,879 Posts
My 70 has this problem wit the original fenders and original hood on it. The problem on mine is the cowl weatherstrip seal. Both corners sit high. You can try pivoting the hood hinges on the rear bolt (loosen the front bolt and rock the hood up) to see if it will bring the corner down any. You will have to compensate the forward to rear movement by pulling the hood forward though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts