Team Chevelle banner

Hood Painting

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jph66 
#1 ·
Im getting ready to sandblast and paint the inside portion of the hood. One of the previous owners put some sort of tar/silicon like substance in the hood.
Why would they have done this? Also, something is loose inside that I can hear whenever I move the hood.

See less See more
#2 ·
Im getting ready to sandblast and paint the inside portion of the hood. One of the previous owners put some sort of tar/silicon like substance in the hood.
Why would they have done this? Also, something is loose inside that I can hear whenever I move the hood. View attachment 706209 View attachment 706210
Well if I had to guess,maybe the factory bonding (skin to frame) let loose and was fluttering or vibrating. I would warn about sand blasting that area as it is easy to warp the skin using that method.If it were me I would try to find some place that could dip it in an acid stripping tank. Once it is cleaned to bare steel you can bond the skin back to the frame. Good luck. Tom..

#4 ·
Using sand and sand blasting that hood, you have a 100% chance of fuc!ing that hood up.

The only blasting medium Id use is plastic beads.
You want NVH material or anti flutter. They are an soft expanding foam that supports panels. Get automotive products, 3m, Lord fusor, sem, not some home depot crap.

#5 ·
I used 3m anti-flutter foam for mine. I also recommend acid dipping 110%. I didn’t as my hood was pretty nice, or so I thought. A year after I painted it I got a bubble under the paint that I now have to fix. Turns out where the glue joints are inside the hood can be hot spots for rust. I missed a microscopic pinhole when I stripped the hood which led to moisture getting under the paint and epoxy primer. Nothing will piss you off more that to put all that work into something and have a failure happen that soon afterwards! Acid dipping would have revealed that pinhole as any very thin spots will become holes you can see and then deal with.
Also, years ago it used to be a thing to use undercoating on the bottom side of the hood as a fast way to ‘spruce it up’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.