Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is used to keep the hood insulation in on a '66 Malibu. I'm not sure if it needs an adhesive. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Spray on 3M Adhesive Glue. Best when used with two people in my opinion. ie... fly paper effect.. spray on in small areas at a time working your way upwards from bottom of hood toward top...,ALSO Cover engine bay with blanket to protect from over spray and fuzzies all over :)

Good luck... Fuzzy side faces down :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
What's the BEST way to remove old Insulation without marring the surface and of course revealing the results on Hood exterior??
I've the New Insulation and the 3M spray along with other requisites for good job performance minus another person.

Thank You in advance for replies whether or not containing sarcasm!!:waving:

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
I can't see where removing the old insulation/marring the surface would really matter?? You will be installing new insulation which will cover up any scrapes or scratches.. NO? Just rip it off and what doesn't come off easily.. use a putty knife.. it don't have to be pretty ;) You are covering up the surface. and I can't see how removal of hood insulation could ever affect the exterior surface of the hood.. what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
You can clean glue residue with 3M Adhesive remover. I can't remember the part # off hand, but it comes in a red and white square quart can with a small screw on pointed tip with a little red cap that lets you control the amount that comes out. It puts out a stream about the size of a toothpick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks be to 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE, floyd66 and scottmn1 for your answers.
In response to the "How does one affect the Hood exterior by removing Hood Insulation?" One might easily mar the exterior by somehow becoming aggressive (or aggravated while using a scraper) in the removal of the underside coating since the Hood where the Insulation is affixed is at its thinnest point. I am referring to those of us that get in a hurry because of perceived Time restraints, lack of nutrition, fluids or of "taking a break" and other related (created?) events or am I the only one that has ever experienced these?:beers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Easier than I thought it would be.
That 3M stuff works very well.
I have the typical male ability to constantly jump to conclusions about procedures in Everything.
Compiling and concluding before initial investigation or whining about something before anything occurs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.