Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all you body guys help out here what is the easiest way to put the springs on the hinges when the hinges are on the car or off and any hints or secrets would be appreciated pullin my hair out here help is the chain method the easiest or nails or shims help me out here thanks fellas
jim:beers:

· Registered
1,068 Posts
I've read alot about nails between the springs with the hood 1/2 way closed and then raiseing the hood.You have to find that certian spot where the nails won't fall out after pushing them through.Never tried but it makes sence.

· Premium Member
6,327 Posts
On the car, some guys are big enough to pull them using a chain or whatever. Off the car, stretch with bumper jack or floor jack, chain and hooks. You can also bend them to one side and insert nails or paint sticks between the coils. Just keep doing that until can be slipped on to hinge. Open hinge and it will stretch more and nails or paint sticks can be pulled out.

Do search and you find lots of tips.

· Premium Member
6,858 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
I just put mine back on for a 69 after having the hinges powder coated. I scratched them up just a little but what I did was but the hinge in a vise then attach the one end of the spring. On the other end I used a large pair or channel locks found just the right spot on the end of the spring and the end point on the hinge where the sping sits and squeezed. First one took about 5 minutes of messing with it the next took about 2 minutes.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.