Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When raising my hood, there is quite a bit of resistance from the hinges. Is there a good permanent way to loosen them up? My old hood started to crack in the middle, and I don't want the new one to get the same crack. Thanx

Its a steel hood on a 72 elky. That info was in my signature block, but I see it didn't "take". Anyway DG has it right about where the old one was cracking and I'll try the WD-40 and/or Motorcycle Lube. The hinges look straight, but I'll have to really inspect them. Thanx all for your responses.

rick schaefer
72 el camino
ACES #00140

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 03-23-99).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
what year Chevelle? Cracked hood? Is the hood fiberglass? You don't want the hood to drop too easily at different levels. Just use some lubricating oil on the hinges and that should allow the hood to open and close easily. Are the hinges bent?

·
Registered
111 Posts
From one Rick to another. This is a place that always is overlooked as a lubrication point. If you need to take them off to loosen do so. I use PJ-7. It's a motoercycle chain lub that comes in a spay can. It comes out kind of foamy then shrinks down to a grease. A little thinner than ordinary grease. I use it on hard to reach places everywere on everything. Door hindges, your locks, window tracks when you have the panel off. It costs about $6 a can. Rick

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My hood on my 70 Malibu is cracked too, The cracks occur in the oblong slot just before the hinges right? That is, I'm told, a GM crumple zone.

Bad hinges can cause this. Jerk the hinges. Pull the springs, check for play and excessive wear. I have seen them slightly bent as to rub when closing.

I have 2 spare hinges. One was frozen with rust. I worked it loose using WD-40, and sprayed some nickle lube on it. You can not wash off that stuff. Great for motorcycle chains too.

The other hinge was loose side-to-side, but appeared tight when the spring was on. I think I have to toss that one.

So long story longer here's what I'm doing, drop the hood, pull the springs, check the hinges. Mark the old hood before you pull it, if you a re re-using it. I'm putting an SS hood back on.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 03-23-99).]

·
Registered
337 Posts
DG,
make sure you change your springs, the SS and Cowl Induction hoods are heavier than the
regular hood. The regular spring won't keep the hood open.The GM part# is 3848272 I think they're still available from GM they fit a Monte also.
Jeff.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
JSL, I replaced the standard hood with a SS hood on my 71 Malibu several years ago and used the hinges/springs for the standard hood. I have had no problems with the cowl hood being too heavy or the springs being to weak to hold up the cowl hood. Maybe your springs were too weak to hold up your cowl hood. Are there really two sets of hinges or springs for each application?

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I have put a CI hood on 2 different Malibus using the original Malibu hinges/springs. No problem. Your hood will live longer if you lube the joints once in a while. This goes for ANY car, even one of Henry's products.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.