Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to swap out my hood hinges and springs. If anyone has some tips, tricks, or advice before I get started, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
DonSS,
Don't know if you need any real tricks but here's what I did. I am changing hoods, so I didn't mark my hood mount locations.

I put a 1/4 inch piece of plywood on the winshield to protect the glass. Loosen all hood-to-hinge bolts, remove front most pair of bolts, support hood, remove rear most pair of bolts. If the hood hasn't fell on you read on. Get a friend to help you move the hood off the hinges.

To pull the springs off the hinges, place the hinge in a vise, use a screwdriver to spread a coil of the spring. Put an 8 penny nail inbetween the spread coil. It may take 4 or 5 nails to lengthen the coil. The spring should drop off.

Haven't put the hood back on...so hope someone else reply's.
Good Luck.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DG for your response. That will be helpful I'm sure. I am certain I came across some posts on the subject in the tech archives or somewhere, but have not been able to locate them again. If I find them, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DG for your response. That will be helpful I'm sure. I am certain I came across some posts on the subject in the tech archives or somewhere, but have not been able to locate them again. If I find them, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Don, there was an excellent post with several replies on hood hinges/springs about 3-4 months ago. Go up to the top and click on search and see if you can find it. Does anyone else remember the post I am talking about?

------------------

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Don,
I found it. It was posted 5-12-99, Install New Hood Hinges, in this section.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.