Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a question about 1969 Chevelle hinges. I am needing to remove mine for a new coat of paint and would like some suggestions on how to remove the springs and install the springs safely.

Thanking in advance!!

Troy
1969 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I saw a neat trick in I believe the latest Muscle Car Review. To remove the spring, you
partially close the hood to expand the spring, then insert small wood shims between the coils and when you open the hood, the spring will not be able to completely retract and you should be able to remove it.

I don't know of an easy way to put the spring back on unless you do not have to recondition it, in which case you would put it back on in reverse order. In the past, I have installed the hinge, raised the hinge to the open position (hood off), slipped on the front of the spring (hook toward front of car) and then used a large screw driver to leverage it onto the back hinge hook. I do this much the same as reinstalling a drum brake shoe spring. You might want to be careful with this one. I hope someone else has a better way to install the spring. Good Luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's how I remove hood springs. I take a two to three foot length of chain (5/16" to 3/8") and hook the last link onto the end of the hood spring (nearest to you). I've been able to easily pull on the chain and the hood spring will stretch enough to come off of where it's positioned on the hood hinge.

There is NOT any "stored" energy in these springs at rest. The only "energy" they have is when you stretch them. Just don't try to stretch it anymore than is required to get it off of the hinge, and you shouldn't have any problem.

Don't just all of a sudden let go of the chain, or it might then use what "energy" it has (when stretched) to try to go somewhere, kinda like when you flip a rubberband.

Also beware when you remove the hood hinge springs (if your hood is still on) that your hood WILL fall on your 'noggin (head) if you don't prop it up, or have someone standing there holding it up. Oouch!

Oh, & install is opposite of removal.

Thanks, Len

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-12-99).]

·
Registered
648 Posts
the removal was easy enough grab it with a heavy glove on one hand (so it can't pinch your skin) then pry it off of the front with a large screw driver. holding it will keep it from damaging whatever. to re-install i use a 1/2" breaker bar. slip one end of the spring on the rear of the hinge the other end through the hole in the bar, then leverage the spring over the end of the hinge. i tried a screw driver to put it back on and it slipped off of the end, putting it through the hole in the bar lets you control it. good luck (eat your wheaties)

·
Registered
85 Posts
..there's no wheaties required for my method. Heck my 105# wife or 14 yr old daughter could do it my way....

·
Gold Founding Member
63,528 Posts
Someone posted here (I forgot who) that he opens the hood until the springs are stretched, inserts nails between the coils and when he closes it the springs fall off.
Sounds like it might be a good way to paint them also, with the coils held apart.

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS
Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.