Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with hood clearence. I have a 69 chevelle with a 454 (75-83 car & truck) with 66-67 396/427 oval port heads. I put an eldebrock performer RPM intake and a 850 eldebrock Q-Jet with a 3" Summit air cleaner (non drop base)now the hood won't clear. I measure the distance from the top of the carb flange and it is 3" to the underside of the hood sheetmetal(the hood has a cutout for the 2 4's and tunnel ram that was on it). I don't know if the frame mounts make a difference but I've seen several 69 big block Chevelles using mounts with the center bolt almost directly on the crossmenber and others with approx 2" away. I would like to use an SS hood but which I believe has the same clearence as the malibu hood. HELP!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
GET THE DROPPED BASE! There are several sources for it. I got mine thru Year One and it came in a GM box, a very nice piece. And it'll fit both the Q-Jet and Holleys, you'll need a flame arrestor with it though or plug the hole if not used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harleighguy which aircleaner did you get and did you also have a clearance problem before getting it? If you did, what size restriction were you facing? I want to make sure that I have enough clearance. JOhn

·
Registered
54 Posts
Choose a drop base filter depending on whether or not you are connecting to a breather hose on the passenger side valve cover. I have this intake on my '67 396'350 and also found hood clearance very tight. The drop base housing allowed me to use a 4" paper element instead of the 3", so there was no loss of air volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.