Team Chevelle banner

Home Security Camera & Driveway warning recomendations

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  1971-Chevelle 
Not something easily installed but before I had my 120ft driveway paved, I installed a traffic signal vehicle detector loop under the crushed stone base. I put the amplifier in the house and hooked the output relay to my doorbell's rear chime. So anytime a car or fairly large metal object ( even a lawnmower) comes in the driveway about 20ft from the street, the doorbell rings.
I like that idea, kinda like a silent alarm the would-be person entering your driveway has no idea you were alerted. I may have to look into that being as someone could easily disable a camera.

If you have an "out building", keep light on in it, and music playing...bad guys might think you are in there all the time...also, keep a few vehicles outside, and move em around often...keep lots of light on. Bad guys don't want to try to rob a place where there are people around. We also have 3 dogs. I have a loaded .357 with me at all times. I also have a shotgun with OO Buck for backup.
I keep a loaded 1911 with me at all times, two shotguns by the bedside for my wife and I and an AR on hand at all times as well. Never can be too careful or paranoid. >:)

Another thing to look into is motion sensor lights. Everything is dark, someone comes onto your property and gets blinded by the light and runs off. Works well as long as you got a backup power source when the power is out.

The problem with low end camera systems is that the cameras themselves are only HD resolution. When you try to zoom the video in, it becomes grainy. 4K cameras are the best way to go, because they will retain a sharp image even after being zoomed in. The DVR or NVR that you get with those systems is also very limited in features. Shop around a bit and see if you can find a 4K camera system (Lorex is a brand to consider, but there are others).
Did not know that. Thanks for the info. I'll remember what you said when upgrading my existing system. :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.