Team Chevelle banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I set it up once or twice it doesnt seem to hold any programming long.
Its old.. I use it manually as if it gets cool say past 10 at night I shut it off and open windows.
When I popped the top off the condenser I was careful to cover any electrical, wires motor etc so I didnt ruin anything...or electrocute myself. It did as you said, make a noticebale difference in run time. Thats a plus 170 bux saved there.

My system has an float setup that causes the system to shut down to avoid overflow.
Ya know....wonder if thats why it would only come on for a minute or so earlier today.
makes sense.

How often do you HVAC guys typically clean coils? Been pretty careful about making sure I change filters ea 60 days and they are well seated so they dont suck in debris around the edgies and plug up the coils.

·
Gold Founding Member
65,373 Posts
Some portables use the condensate to help cool the condensor, mine does. I have a Honeywell, 6000 btu's!
A lot of window units use the cold condensate drain water to help cool the condenser to make them more efficient.

One bad thing about those "one hose out the window" units is taking air out of the house sucks humidity back into the house.

Around here, getting the humidity level down (which takes two or three days of a proper sized central unit running), then keeping the house closed up and the A/C running longer (coasting amp draw wise) and not oversized to cause the temperature to lower and the compressor to cycle more.
But many people have oversized systems and pay the price to be able to pull the temperature down and to heck with controlling the humidity level, they would rather pay much higher electric bills.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,586 Posts
Ron has any of the techs inspected the Evap coil inside the attic unit? if they tell you it needs R-22 Freon or R-410a Puron it has a leak and ask them what they're going to do about fixing it (I hate Stop Leak) If you Google "Sub Cooling & Super Heat" methods of charging ac systems that's how I charge them, lot of techs just want to Jam Freon in a system to Make $$$ when the system has other issues, 1 of my clients that I couldn't get to for a few days called another company out and first tech told him "Nothing's Wrong" same Co. Owner came out next day said "System has a small Leak so I added 410a now it's fine and working Properly" Guy still wanted me to come out since it's still not right...This is what I found and cleaned best I could and going back in 3 mons to clean again (Concrete Plant) and Now it's cooling again the way it should
Wood Fixture Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive tire

Grey Font Pattern Rectangle Composite material
Furniture Ladder Wood Shelf Shelving
by by 8K
Automotive tire Wood Sleeve Grey Trunk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No, the system does not have to be evacuated to top off the refrigerant, just need a wheelbarrow full of money for the R-22.

I've seen a lot of condensers with fins bent over restricting the air flow from people not holding the garden hose square, but at an angle.
i have a few friends that are overly proud of their pressure washers, and use them on everything. one guy wasted both his home condenser, and the condenser on his truck.
once we were out riding quads and one guys got hot. we were playing in the mud, so i took a water bottle to spray down his radiator to clean it off. once i got it a little clean, i could tell he had a pressure washer too.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,586 Posts
i have a few friends that are overly proud of their pressure washers, and use them on everything. one guy wasted both his home condenser, and the condenser on his truck.
once we were out riding quads and one guys got hot. we were playing in the mud, so i took a water bottle to spray down his radiator to clean it off. once i got it a little clean, i could tell he had a pressure washer too.
Went to a home where the owner cleaned his coils with a BBQ brush :oops: ...Yep the coils were Shot

• Wow
Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Jan 19 I believe is when the coils were last taken out into the backyard and cleaned, did it myself after the tech removed it. Have a pic somewhere, fins were real nice.
Yesterday it started raining after I posted this (yet super hot)...I need to get a battery for the temp gun.
Its cool....but not as cold as it should be pretty sure. It just doesnt have much power coming out of the vent.
My inlaws put a 10? ton unit on their 1800 sq ft home it literally runs maybe a min and cools the house fast.
Gonna take temps and call the guy who serviced the neighbors place last week
Guy I talked to last yr said 170 gets the system gone over, topped off etc when he fixed the furnace. Last week said Freon was at least 500 plus whatever else he found. Eesh.
Trying to keep my bills down and save the owners money

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Just repeating what he told me...I will say the weekends I spent ther during summer it cooled down instantly. Thier utility bill was about half what mine is in this 1000 sq footer

Some pics from 3 yrs back..had the company let me clean them myself. Dont think PC keyboard cleaner would do a thing thats what they wanted to use. Hmm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My personal AC I clean the condenser with water twice a year, spring and mid summer. Indoor unit I change the 1 inch pleat filter every 30 days. UV light I change every 2 years. Other then that I don’t mess with it. Mines a 2019 haven’t opened the unit since installing it. Will check capacitors microfarads, contactor etc.. but not the charge no need to (temp splits, line temps all look good.) some time this summer. When I installed the unit I used a 30 cube sporran filter drier and moisture indicator/sight glass. I also installed a old stock steveco relay, Copeland start capacitor with bleed resistor, USA made run capacitor and a Compressor blanket.(helps quiet operation)

A dirty evaporator is easy to verify with amp draw,pressure,temperatures and supply/return temps. I’ve seen some nasty evaporators lol once it was a house full of young college lady’s. I bet I pulled 4 lbs of hair out of it. I’ll try to find the pictures 😂🤣

·
Premium Member
10,586 Posts
Ron you said it's not blowing very hard out of the vents? that could very well be a dirty evaporator coil blocking air flow just like a dirty filter will, if it can't suck air in it can't blow it out

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Closest vent to the system is my bedroom, seems to blow fine. Ktichen 15 ft away is weaksauce. I do remember it was stronger. Maybe they are dirty again?Been pretty diligent about the filters & making sure they seal.
The prior tenant used a piece of fiberglass? (green stuff) & let a lot of debris through as you can see in the pics

·
Premium Member
10,586 Posts
IMO the Pleated merv 10 are good filters, Fiberglass are Garbage, JMO and no need for Blue the White ones are fine I just got these because I like Blue lol 😁
Azure Mesh Fence Rectangle Aqua

Brown Font Room Wood Event

Wood Line Font Guitar accessory Electric blue

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That’s what I use also merv10 filters they are perfect for homes.

Some of those 3m allergen filters restrict air flow.
Low air flow could be ductwork related, blower speed tapped wrong, that evap coil didn’t look to bad, Ductwork design I’ve seen some octopuse looking setups with flex duct. Tapping the Plenum in the wrong location can cause issues also.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You mean where the plenum splits off to ducting to other rooms?
If I owned this place Id go to town on this thing. That could very well be why its so weak in the kitchen.
Its a small house though?

Almost considered hacking up a small stand with some of those misting pipes youd hang around a patio
just out of curiosity to see how much better it cooled. Kind of like guys do with intercoolers.

Never even thought about this stuff til I developed a nasty respiratory disorder.
Caused by a 50 yr old system that was very neglected..never cleaned.
Those hypo allergenic filters do make a difference..but 30 bux ea!?

Appreciate the tips and explanations never hurts to learn something.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Here’s a generic example of duct. Notice how nothing is tapped at the ends of the duct allowing the duct to pressurize evenly. As the duct gets further away you you eventually decrease the diameter of the main trunk line. Duct will only decrease after a certain amount of length has been ran. But tapping the ends of a plenum or trunk line is always a bad idea. That will decrease flow to the rest of the duct. Ideally you want a couple feet at the end of the trunk lines.
Product Line Font Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok that makes good sense appreciate the diagram. Havent been in the attic in quite awhile.

It was my plan to buy this place once my retirement got straightened out, was supposed to happen this month. Having major complications but may still be a chance. If I can first thing Im doing is getting a new system in here and real window coverings that insulatel to make this place more efficitent.
It can be had for 30-40k under market so theres potential.
Basically why im asking so many questions about a rental house :poop:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts