Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Central AC system
Pulled the condenser? outside a part and flushed the fins out real well and it did cool a bit better, AC ran a lil less
(works great with autos also guys..just use a garden hose from the backside)
Sytstem is a lil undersized for this house (2 br rental) and runs all the time
Change the filter every 60 days ( have copd, so it helps)

Trying to save on electric as it gets super hot out this way. Anything over 90 this thing cant get the house under 80

Called an AC guy I used last yr and asked what it would be ballpark to ck the freon level and top off it needed?
Guy wanted min $500....do they need to evacuate it all or just ck and add?

Know its the owners issue but I have a real good price on rent and save them when I can meaning I pay.
Current market is double the cost since I came here 3 yrs back so.

Is this right or am I getting a pitch?

Did have the coils cleaned when I moved in. ducts, took apart the blower wheel & cleaned it well myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i spent $300 3 years ago to have a local "acquaintance" (read, not really giving me $$$ break, but i could trust him in my home alone) add freon, and like $800 last year for dye, leak seal and 3 lbs of cold juice from "the big box store" of plumbing and heating. those are going prices for my area, and neither of them evacuated the system. Like yours, 3 years ago, when i had just moved in, it got hot, and it would just run all the time and barely kept things cool. Price of freon is through the roof, at least for R134A.
They say you should have a delta of like 18-22 degrees ambient inside temp, to vent temps. i keep an eye on that now a days before i call someone, or before i throw some in myself.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,880 Posts
Fix the hot air leaks. Windows, doors, insulation. What temp is the air coming out of the registers?

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I’m charging out $150 for actual R22 per pound.
r410a $95 per pound
Change out 22 with Mo99 is around $55 per pound. This needs a recovery, I’m only doing them on complete blowouts, or repairs that require refrigerant.
some people are charging 99 on top of 22 claiming no problems, I’ve repaired about 50 systems this year because of it.
If they are adding refrigerant there is a leak that needs to be fixed.
price 3 years ago per cylinder 30lb,25lb was $360 for 22, $124 410. Today the22 is 1700 and $600.(r410a).
I also fix the leak never just a recharge, leak seal, etc.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will have to check when I dig up my super fabulous Harbor Freight temp gun.
Had the freon done when the coils were cleaned but that was 3 yrs ago.

Jason, so say they checked , it was down 2 lbs. Do they simply add 2 lbs or have to evacuate it all and start over?
Just dont wanna get ripped off thats all. Things are super tight right now.

I closed off the registers for the far area of the living room, extra room/bath thats empty etc. Sealed everything up best I can
About 1000 sq ft, 2 br 2a.

Edit:thermostat is acting wacky now...just came on ran for about 30 sec then back off. No way it dropped the house 1 degree.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino: 283, TKO500, 3.36 posi.
188 Posts
Do you have heat exchanger in the attic? The coils can get dirty and reduce efficiency. Also condensation drain line can get plugged up. My system has an float setup that causes the system to shut down to avoid overflow. I just had my one year old Trane unit compressor replaced two weeks ago under warranty because it wouldn't keep up with the cooling. T-stat at 77 and room temp was 80. Tech told me there is an o-ring that commonly fails in the compressor. They also recommend using fiberglass filters because the pleated filters can reduce airflow across the evaporator.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fins are all straight Im pretty careful with it.
Mark, its all in the attic. Cant use 'glass filters it irritates my lungs. Use a good pleated one of those fancy green ones & make sure its well seated.
Did the coils myself...wasnt happy with the way the guy was cleaning them so took over. LOL
Air quality has to be about perfect or I get nasty bronchiospasms.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Will have to check when I dig up my super fabulous Harbor Freight temp gun.
Had the freon done when the coils were cleaned but that was 3 yrs ago.

Jason, so say they checked , it was down 2 lbs. Do they simply add 2 lbs or have to evacuate it all and start over?
Just dont wanna get ripped off thats all. Things are super tight right now.

I closed off the registers for the far area of the living room, extra room/bath thats empty etc. Sealed everything up best I can
About 1000 sq ft, 2 br 2a.

Edit:thermostat is acting wacky now...just came on ran for about 30 sec then back off. No way it dropped the house 1 degree.
A decent tech can get the charge close with the pressure and temperatures. Ideally you want the charge back to factory spec this can only be done with weights.( that would need a recovery) problem with that is if your system is low it has a leak and recovery would cause air to enter into the system.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Not a real answer, but get your self a portable roll around with 2 hoses (important) raise the main thermostat, use the roll around to cool what ever room your in.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
TKG thanks I figured it was hardwired didnt know about the batteries. Will check

Considered a portable, may be an option not sure why I didnt think of that

Agree on the infrastructure thing. How many summers at least in most of Socal do we get power outages? Almost every one...
So the electric only goobs must figure it will come from somewhere.
I bet if we saw the day all cars were electric autio insurance would increase. Id think the odds of wrecking would increase without being able to hear them...imagine a motorcylcle yikes

Edit...if I kept 1-2 rooms cool with a portable the kitchen would get pretty warm..will that kill my fridge meaning working too hard?

·
Registered
785 Posts
My brother lives in Aptos Ca. We both bought a HF 3500w inverter generator as a backup generator. Both installed with a manual switch over.
After 3 years, in civilized modern Ca , his has over 300hr and mine in the remote wilds of Wy has 45hr on it

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know...had one yrs back. It was noisy but the drain was easy to deal with
My room faces the st so security is a concern thats all.
Backroom has no window just a sliding glass door. Not ideal either. Only 5-6 mos a yr if it was worth it.
Great neighorhood but valley in general is horrible as far as crime goes...not the place to sleep with the window open unless you got bars on it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yes, the hose(s) are a real PITA, but these things are very inefficient. Very. I'm referring to the "single hose" variety cuz that's the one I got a couple of years ago. A double hose model should work much better for reasons explained in this video.
The room is not more than 200 sqft. The window fits tight. So does the door, but I can't close it all the way. Pretty substantial vacuum in the room when its running, so the door has to be open. So you draw in room air and outside air, cool a little bit of it and use the rest to carry the waste heat out the window. Mine's a Toshiba, and it looks nice and is well built. I compared the specs for this one and a "window shaker" Toshiba same BTU. Window shaker draws about one-half the current, and guaranteed produces a lot more cold air from the window shaker. More than $300 new a couple of years ago and going on Craigslist next weekend for $50 just to get rid of it.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I flush my condenser out every day. During hot afternoons I spray it down with cool water I also spray the bricks next to it.
It's also a good idea to run the ceiling fans, I put mine on low pulling the cold air up off the floor. I also run a dehumidifier in my basement next to the furnace. I have one of the return vents open right next to the dehumidifier. This pulls the cool dry air in the basement up into the main floor.
I have my attic fan set to run for 15 minutes three times, noon 3pm and 5 pm. I have a lighting timer were the switch used to be. Never set these fans to run all day.
When I install them, I set the temp to the highest setting. Also, never mount the thermostat against the wood use the two holes they have on the thermostat that stick out. You want the body of the thermostat to be suspended in the air not picking up heat sink from the roof.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you spray it down when its running? Worried it would hit some electronics inside or short the motor out
Bet it sure helps. Overkill would be plumbing a misting system in front of it lol

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Those units are designed to work in the rain. I wouldn't run the water hard were the electric is kept. I spray mine while its running I spray the outside vents lightly to cool it down.
When the brakers for the AC and furnace are turned off. Then open the top and clean out the bottom. spray water under the unit and flush out all the dirt. Put it all back together and run it. I was amazed at how quickly my AC was cycling whereas before it would just stay running. I had to adjust the thermostat swing to longer cycles. Did you set your thermostat up?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts