Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to re-Jet a new Holly 600 on my kids 69 Malibu. It is a 350 that started out as a 350/250 2bbl. He has added a Edelbrock Performer Plus cam, headers, a Weiand Stealth intake, and a Holly 4160 600cfm carb. I had him buy a new carb because the old one had problems and I am not much of a carb man. This Holly is running way too rich, I have adjusted the float levels, the idle mixture and made sure that the choke is off when the engine is warm. Can anyone recommend the correct jet size for this setup? Or what book should I get that can lead me on the right path so I can make this run right.
Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Registered
172 Posts
this shouldn't surprise anyone, when I say, Holley doesn't put the same jets in the same carbs all the time. They may be close but,not always the same.

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Hunter,
Is it running rich at idle, or going down the road. Most Holly's are jetted pretty close from the factory for a mild motor such as your son's. Is it possible the power valve is blown out ? If you had a backfire of any type while trying to start the motor, it may have done it in, even though most of the newer Holly's have the power valve protection check valve built into them. Make sure it is not another problem such as low vacuum etc before condemming the jet sizes.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill, it seems to be OK at idle but on the throttle it blows some black smoke and smells of fuel, also the tail pipes are kind of black insted of the correct grey.
Thanks.

------------------
Rob #403
Fairfax, VA

·
Registered
548 Posts
Rob theres the way I jetted mine for power and mileage.Went down to 54s it ran too lean,no power changed jets 2 sizes tried on the road still lacked power.I kept going 2 sizes until power came on that is where I left it.Good power and 20 mpg with 3.73s.Sorry I can't remember what I ended up with.I think they are 65s...FRED

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.