Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I'm between the Holley Street Avenger and the Edelbrock Performer for my 70 454. I'm running .556 cam, Air Gap intake, 10.5:1 pistons, HEI, roller rockers, 2.5" headers with 3" flowmasters.....

Tired of messing with my Holley 4160.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I usually don't reply about carburetors since I also don't know much about tuning Holleys.
I have an Edelbrock 750, 1407, man. choke on my .060 over 454, open cham. oval port heads,
Edel. RPM dual plane, comp. cams mechanical cam, 236/246 @.050, 161/171 lift on 110 lsa, MSD ignition, with 3:31 posi rear and Doug Nash 5 speed manual tranny.
Set the carb, forget about it, and drive it.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
JoenAnne, if its performance you want, go Holley all the way. I will be the first to admit that the big 4bbls of theirs arent fuel efficient. If its drivability you want, I;d forgo the EDEL AFB clone and buy a Jet prepped QJ assuming you have the correct flange to run one.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427
"Be big. Be a builder."

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much performance do you think I'll lose going to a "set & forget" 800 edelbrock versus my vac secondary holley 750?

I'm really tired of tuning my carb every weekend!! I want to drive this rat...

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Just want to add that Holley carburetors have a reputation for specific problems, and it seems that Holley has addressed them, not only in their Street Avenger series, but in the rest of their carbs as well. I was surprised to see they now use non stick, reusable gaskets in their double pumper carbs, as well as power valve protection. I used a 650 4777, and it was real close right out of the box. I don't think there is such a thing as "put it on and forget it" where carbs are concerned. Every carb will benefit from being tuned to the motor it's put on. It may seem they are right on out of the box, and maybe so in some cases, but these are aftermarket pieces that are not exact. I prefer Holley, just because I know how to tune them, and feel they are simple to tune. I know a lot of folks feel the same way about the Edelbrock/Carter AFB types as well. Whatever you end up with, get a book on that carb, and learn how it works as well as how to tune it, even if you never plan on changing it.

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
I dont know why you;d be tuning it every weekend. once I got both my 750 and 850 dp's set up and they were flawless.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427
"Be big. Be a builder."

·
Registered
67 Posts
WELL!!!!! Guys, you may not have a set and forget Holley, but the only adjustments I have made to my Edelbrock in the last 5 years was rebuild it once, and to reset the air flow per a new vacuum gauge when I rebuilt the motor and fired it up last November.
(1) minute of plugging in the vacuum gauge, adjust (2) air mixture screws, and as I said before, FORGET IT, DRIVE IT.

[This message has been edited by DUANE OCHS (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I really doubt you'd lose ANY performance by going with an 800 Edelbrock. If fact, Yeah, I'll say it, out of the box, the Edelbrock rules. Now, if you're going racing, there's more tunibility and known technology out there for Holleys. I have an 800 edelbrock and it is as they say, bolt it on, set the idle mixture & idle and drive.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a Holley on mine took some time to get it set about 1/2 hour haven't touched it since that was 6 years ago and 13000 miles.Y do you think NASCAR uses them PERFORMANCE thats Y.If you are having problems with a HOLLEY don't blame the carb...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My preference is the Edelbrock/Carter AFB setup. You can do all of your rejets/rod changes vac spring changes, needle and seat changes all with the carb on the car and without spilling gas.Oh and for a few bucks Edelbrock sells a HI-FLOW needle and seat kit if fuel starvation is a prob. Can also easily be made into a dual feed by drilling and tapping (5/8-20) the inlet thats cast on the opposite side. Yup either Carter or Edelbrock is my choice. JMO

·
Premium Member
28,594 Posts
I run the 3310/750 vacuum secondary carbs on both my big blocks..while not the optimum for street/strip performance,it's the perfect compromise carb,IMO.All I had to do to them is tailor the secondary opening rate (with the spring kit)and jet up the one I run on my 4 speed car (the one on my SS454 is stock out of the box,other than the secondary spring)In fact,the one on my 4 speed car has been doing well since I bolted it on about 7 years ago.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.