Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a Holley Street Dominator (300-38) and an Edelbrock Performer (2101) intake for my 307. As far as I can tell, they're pretty much the same; both are dual planes and an improvement over stock for a street car. Any body have any particular reason to choose one over the other??

------------------
70 Chevelle SS/was 396 4 spd.
now temporarily 307/350TH
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70ssgk1.jpg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well other than the fact it's a complete travesty that beautiful ride of yours doesn't have a 4 speed/rat combo
, it probably doesn't make any difference. The Edel probably has more design time in it, but I would go with the least expensive. Heck, and please don;t take offense, I'd go with a very inexpensive mani on the 307. It is, as you say, temporary.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Holley "z/28" type mani I see in PAW ads. I think it's like $115 or so. Go cheap. Save your bucks for a mill that will put out 400hp. That what these big fat Chevelles like!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Holley "Z-28 style" manifold is Part# 300-36. I've had one on my 350 for 11 years and am very pleased with it. It is a little taller than the 300-38 and you will probably need a drop base style aircleaner.

Clark
Korea

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the budget is tight (who's isn't?) and this is a temporary engine, try to find a used manifold. They can be found everywhere for a SB Chevy, and the only thing that really ever goes wrong with an aftermarket alum. intake is some threads get stripped (easily repaired, or at least detected so you can avoid having to repair it!) And best of all they are usually quite inexpensive. If you are buying a new one, I would think ahead. Even if the 307 is a temporary motor, if you intend to upgrade to a bigger/better SB later, buy the intake that will work best for your future set-up. Trying to sell a used 2101 performer because your new 383 stroker needs a Performer RPM or Vic Jr. a year or two after you bought it will turn out below average at best! I know a single plan manifold doesn't belong on a 307, but it would work OK, and won't be your biggest performance problem (it is a 307 afterall) and maybe the RPM would work well enough for now.

Best favor you can do yourself right now is develop a REALISTIC plan for the future of your Chevelle, the longer you will need to keep the 307, the more time and $ you can spend on it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.