Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,668 Posts
Looking for a recommendation on a new Holley 4 barrel to replace my quadrajet. I need one that will fit my cowl induction air cleaner without modification

Why, the Qjet is actually the best street carb on the planet! If you need it to be redone, I use and recommend www.customrebuiltcarbs.com Good luck with your carb!

·
Registered
15,024 Posts
holley makes a spread bore replacement carb. either in a double pumper or a vacuum secondary. not cheap anymore $700 plus. jim

Reactions: p40 and Capt Casey

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I do believe you are making a bad chioce, Why? I have a 1 owner 70 LS-5 -M-22 with a Q- Jet ( The org. 7040205 ) Its just fine . On my daily driver, Its a 468 in my 70 Nomad Wagon. I get 18.7 MPG on the highway. 17.7 with the A/C operating. Yea it also has a Q-Jet. The Carb. to replace the G.M. Q-Jet......... Has NOT been invented yet. Hey now,,, Good luck with your Holley. I can not say anything bad about a Holley, Because I have never owned one. But I do have a few extra Q- Jets sitting in my toy box.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I do believe you are making a bad chioce, Why? I have a 1 owner 70 LS-5 -M-22 with a Q- Jet ( The org. 7040205 ) Its just fine . On my daily driver, Its a 468 in my 70 Nomad Wagon. I get 18.7 MPG on the highway. 17.7 with the A/C operating. Yea it also has a Q-Jet. The Carb. to replace the G.M. Q-Jet......... Has NOT been invented yet. Hey now,,, Good luck with your Holley. I can not say anything bad about a Holley, Because I have never owned one. But I do have a few extra Q- Jets sitting in my toy box.
I agree with LEO P and Robin the Quadrajet greatest fuel mixer ever designed. IF ther was anything that the G / M engineers did better than anyone else it,s The Quadrajet 4bbl and the G / M window distributor . Fix the Quadrajet. They made two one that would flow up to 750 CFM for all small blocks and one that would flow up to 850 CFM for all big blocks in all their divisions.The thing about Quadrajets is it will only flow what the engine needs and it has those small front barells for economy . Holleys are great carbs but most of the time they need to be tweaked right out of the box and re jetted but not aways. the only other carb i like is the old CARTER A FB with the 3 screws up front. Re build your Qjet you wont be sorry . Alex

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,799 Posts
I agree the Q jet was the best U.S. built carb for street driving ever. There were so many variations it just has to be set up for the specific application. It's a set and forget carb. Once it's set up correctly it doesn't need constant tweeking like most aftermarket carbs.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I agree with the Q-jet recommendations. The only thing I've seen with it that is trouble to fix is the vacuum leak at the primary throttle plate shaft due to long years of wear. This will take somebody skilled with a reamer and bushing kit but it is certainly solvable.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,985 Posts
A rebuild and asthetic restoration of your Qjet will cost about as much as a new Holley.

Here is another great source. Eric will strap your Qjet on his test mule engine before its shipped. It will look factory new and run!

www.vintagemusclecarparts.com

·
Premium Member
18,985 Posts
I'd send it to Leo's guy or Eric first. Only my opinion. Eric will calibrate for the app and wet test. That is not "off the shelf" like Jet. I prefer known good craftsman over new boxes anyday.

Plus, if it runs like shit, who you going to call?

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I had my Q-Jet built for my 468 by a T-Chevelle member, This 16-18 years ago. I have not touched it in over 16 years AND OVER .. 65,890 road miles, On my FAKE / FRAUD 70 SS 454 Sta. Wgn. Oh My ,, I lied,,, I set the idle up 6-8 years ago. Just so you know. Every spring I remove the factory 70 LS-5 Air cleaner... Then I say " YEP " the Q- Jet is still attached to the iron intake.
P.S. I betcha, you will find more Q- Jets on the GENERALS Engines than Holleys. With all due respect, Do what makes you happy!

·
Premium Member
18,985 Posts
Hahaha, Bob my Holley 850 race carb makes me happy on my MJ467. The Qjet cant handle 600 ponies! Someday I will run it though, just to see how much better than 16 mpg it can do. ( with my NASCAR fuel pump , I have to regulate it down to 5.5 psi tho)

PS Both my Qjets were tweaked by Eric, even the one Tom Mobley ( RIP) built for me. They run good, but the MJ467 has "needs" that are hard to meet! I think they'd work much better if it was an automatic trans car.

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.23 posi
447 Posts
On my Camaro, I replaced my Holley 600 vac sec with a junkyard QJet. I got some setup directions I printed off the internet. I could not believe how easy it was and the gain in performance. I would do the same on my Chevelle but QJets aren't as cheap and found on shelves at junkyards like in the 90's.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have two Big Blocks with spread bore Holley carbs on them, they work well, but, there are conditions

The most extensive use of those carbs was/is on Pontiac engines, and there are two types, sizes.

First is an emissions vacuum secs, single fuel feed, single accelerator pump 650 cfm, hard to get right on a non-emissions engine.

What I use is the performance version, spread bore, double pumper, manual secs, dual feed 800 cfm. This carb does not have emissions jetting parameters, and setup was very easy on both engines.

I worked in Pro-Stock race carbs at Holley for 5 years, so, getting one right isn't hared for me. Can be trying for those that haven't worked with carbs extensively..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts