Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Holley Terminator Stealth, the one that looks like a carburetor. Anyway, I purchased it years ago and I’m finally ready to fire her up. I have a Holley dual sync distributor and and MSD 6Al boX with a coil.

I do not have an option for the dual sync on my handheld, since version 4 is loaded on my system. Since I want the ECU to control timing, I need to update the firmware. Holley tech support says to load version 5 from the HP/ Dominator section On their website. He said not to load version 6.

since I don’t have a laptop, I was planning to purchase an 8 gig SD card, load the files onto it then load them onto the EFI.

I’ve watched a few videos showing how to do it. Has anyone here done this? Is it as straight forward as it seems? Is there anything to look out for?

Joe

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tommy K, thanks. I’m a member there as well but in my experience the answers there confuse the snot out of me. I’m not very computer savvy. I mean I get by but……. I need the “dummy version” or I’m lost in the sauce.

Joe

· Registered
441 Posts
Your best bet is the Holley efi forum or the Holley efi facebook group. They know everything +
I run a Holey Terminator (and also a Holley dual sync distributor). I bought a factory re-furb unit. The box had double the hardware, and no software. I'm NOT inept on this kind of stuff using software, an ECU, etc., but I felt the instructions were rather unfriendly for those who have never run a TBI unit. Because of that, I had to really struggle to understand what I was missing - especially the software. It wasn't until I signed up on their forum that I realized that the software was left out of the package. I ended up having to download it form their site.

I found the Holley forum to be unfriendly and their moderator really came across as "we have no time or interest for you". Well, maybe if you had some quality control out the door, your customers wouldn't be struggling in the blind and asking you the "same old dumb questions over and over, thus annoying the crap out of you".

I've had other very poor customer/technical service from Holley. So much so that I had two of their tech support folks tell me - and I'm not kidding - the exact opposite way from one another to place the fuel regulator. One was adamant it was before the TBI, one was adamant it was after the TBI.

That said, I went to a reputable shop that helped me through it. Wasn't hard in the end but you would never know it if relying solely on Holley.

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bronze68, I know exactly what you are talking about! The Holley site is not a very welcoming forum.

I’ve gotten way more assistance here with my EFI installation than I ever got over there. The Holley tech support guy was helpful yesterday but he was rambling off things to do while I was attempting to write down everything he said.

Joe

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting nowhere fast, over at the Holley forum. For example, I ask about how many oranges will I need to fill an 8oz glass and what I get in return are links to prior threads about deciphering Macbeth. In Latin, no less.

What I need is help for dummies who don’t want to botch their ECU. I’m not so sure they cater to guys like me. I’ll give it one more whirl.

Joe

· Registered
511 Posts
Updating the firmware is very easy. Your hand held screen should already have an sd card already in it. You need to take it out and pop it in ur computer. You select the files on the card and drop them in a new folder on your desktop, then delete the files on the sd card. This is for a backup and save your current tunes (if you have any). If you dont have any datalogs or tune files already you can just delete the files on the card.

The new firmware files you can find on Holley’s website. You download them. Extract them. And add them to your sd card. Put the sd card back in your handheld. Key forward. The ecu will automatically recognize there’s new firmware files and will begin the process of installing them. You see black screen with white text showing you the files as it update with a progress bar. Once done key off. Now you’re all set.

Dont have time to find a stealth video but it will be very similar to this process, just different files that need to be downloaded.

Once you do the update you will have the ability to select “dual sync” for the drop down distributor ignition options.

Ive done this process dozens and dozens of times for Snipers, Super snipers, Terminator X, and Terminator X Max systems with no issues.

· Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SS454, thanks for your reply! Possibly, my version 4 predates your friends version 4 because there is no ignition selection other than the question about do you want the ECU to control timing on my handheld screen.

GTO44, also thank you for your response. Since the Terminator has never run the vehicle, I have no tunes to save. I will be enlisting some tuning help once the vehicle is ready for that. I guess I could have pulled the card and wiped it after saving the files but I did not think of that. I just ordered a new card for $8, I’ll put the original card away, just in case.

The Holley forum confused and frustrated me a bit. There seems to be more than 3 files for version 4. The Holley tech told me to download the 3 files On the site. The Holley site also pasted a prior thread that talked about deviating from the instructions on the dual sync directions. I kinda thing the thread he posted was not the one he intended to send. Didn’t answer either of my questions but instead went into dwell time adjustments.

This EFI better be worth it. If I had put a carburetor on her, she would have been running a year ago….. That and my frustration level would be much lower.

Joe

· Premium Member
11,917 Posts
It will be worth it. More setup up front. Way less worry later.

If you were in central florida id swing by your place with the laptop and have you good to go before you could crack a beer.
Where in Florida ?

I'll be up there this weekend and can use a little help getting my Terminator dialed in.

· Premium Member
189 Posts
I had a few Holley tech guys that I "didn't see eye to eye with" 3 years ago...
Seems they must get "it's a bad ground problem beat into their heads, maybe for cause..."
Always get their extension number
Then I found one I did like. WHEN you find a guy that will work with you , save his number
I did go to a local shop to finish (polish) the tune, but I did get everything going, well worth the $$$ for dyno pulls
The forum was good to me also, ... 3 years ago

· Registered
1,340 Posts
At least I'm not the only one that has gotten crappy help from the Holley forum. To anybody running a dual sync. If your car starts to run like crap once warmed up but runs fine when cold. It's probably the dual sync. Mine lasted about two years. Something in the dual sync was failing when hot and they don't sell any parts for it so I had to buy a new one. They can repair them for but I ended up just going to a crank trigger and cam sensor.

· Premium Member
11,917 Posts
Winter Springs / Longwood area. Where abouts will you be?
About 90 minutes South of you in Lake Wales.

Leaving tomorrow AM (Thursday) to Sunday for this:

Located here:

Yippee Ki-Yay.

Street Rods and Musclecars welcome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts