Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a 670 steet avenger on my 69 elky 396 M-20 3:42 gears. Here is my problem; it works perfectly on the primary side but backfires immediately when the secondaries are kicked in. I tried the black spring, no change. I have tried different timing locations, no change. I checked the float level in the secondary side, perfect. It seems to be starving for gas? I know this is a little small for my rat, but I should still be able to make it run. I'm not running a very big cam only about 505 lift. Does anyone have any ideas? I already have a call into Holley tech support for all the good it will do me.
Caboguy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will continue to backfire if I stay in it. Frankly a couple times and I don't feel like continuing. Even going down the highway at @ 2800 RPM it will do it if I kick it in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't think that is the problem. I just took an older 750 off it because I wanted an electric choke and I had a hard time getting it to idle. The 750 ran good, just wouldn't idle below about 1100. Can you think of anything else?
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Its strange , if it was a bit lean being a smaller carb it might like pop out the carb once when you floor it, but not continue doing it.

Dave

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wanted to let you know that there is a recall on the 670 series street avenger carbs. I called Holley Tech support about the one I have and they told me there was a recall due to a high lead content in a certain run of carbs that were sold. You will need to look at your choke neck/tower on your carb and give them all the numbers that are on it. Make sure you write them down clearly and triple check. The first carb they sent me was COD, so I sent it back to them without paying. The second one they sent, was the wrong one. I have to call them monday and see when I am going to get the right one. They are doing this all for me free of charge and I dont have to send my old one in until the replacement is installed and they will pay for me to ship it back to them. Other then the two problems with the first two carbs, I am happy with their customer service.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A 670 is plenty of carb for a mild 396. It sounds like you aren't getting gas through the secondaries. Take the secondary bowl off and make sure nothing is plugged. Also make sure the secondary float level is set properly.

FWIW, I run an Avenger on mine and the electric choke is the biggest piece of junk Holley ever came out with. I can't wait to get it converted to a manual choke.

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks a load! I have a feeling there is something wrong with this and maybe I can use this for an excuse to bump up to a 770.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts