Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in October, Doug F (Holley EFI bigwig) had said that the Holley Sniper EFI software would be released "soon"...
Then he said it'd be another 2 weeks.
Then on the Holley forums it was posted that it was delayed again, but due out in Mid January, which passed by over a week ago, so I posted on the Holley forums inquiring...
Was then given a link to contact Holley Tech...
Here is the latest "update"...Just an FYI for anyone else who may be waiting on it, like myself.

I don't "need" it, per se, but the data logging feature is worthless without a way to actually read them. I had hoped to datalog passes at the track, as well as during basic cruising, just to ensure the car and it's tune are on the same page...

I just wish someone from Holley could/would have a date or general time frame that was accurate. The reply I got back sure doesn't seem positive at all.

Hello Bob. I apologize for the delays. All I'm told is that the Sniper EFI software will be available soon. Understand that we have a crew working on this, along with other tasks, and it may take a while. Thanks. Mark

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Updates on any product seem to take forever if you are the one waiting for them. They must be finding glitches.

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updates on any product seem to take forever if you are the one waiting for them. They must be finding glitches.
Maybe so, but the 2 Holley EFI guys that are members here, basically had said the software was done a few months ago...and the holdup was the needed adapter, so I guess there really is a slow boat from China...lol. :wink2:

Hopefully, it's available in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Adapter meaning some sort of cable or bluetooth that lets it talk to some other computer or smart device?

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adapter meaning some sort of cable or bluetooth that lets it talk to some other computer or smart device?
Link -> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/9292138-post32.html

Quote from October 25, 2016:

There's not a black and white answer to that question. You shouldn't have a problem down to around 5-6" HG. When you get into really mismatched combo's such as super low vacuum and a stock converter, things get touchier. In cases like that, I usually break open the laptop to help with fine tuning the fuel table and ignition timing table and get things happier (which some may like to do and some won't). The Sniper doesn't need or come with laptop software, but it will be available shortly. It will just require the purchase of a CAN to USB converter, which won't cost much. The software is based on the current Holley EFI software and is VERY full featured and very intuitive. The fuel table has the same "self learning" function current Holley EFI systems offer, so it will adjust the fuel table if it is off very quickly to whatever A/F ratio you enter.

and....

Link -> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/9293810-post43.html

Quote October 26, 2016:

The software is done, but not released to the public yet. It uses a tiny USB to CAN converter for laptop communications. That converter is scheduled to be built in production and is needed to communicate with the ECU. That software includes a datalog review package (based on the current Holley EFI software), as well as an "overlay" function that overlays the log in the tuning software (you can see that in the images Adam posted above). The software won't be included, but can be downloaded for free. I'm not 100% sure on the USB to CAN adapter, that will needed to be purchased, but it won't cost much. There will be come future kits that will likely contain the software. There's nothing "cheap" or "low quality" about any of it, the market is just morphing into a lower priced arena.

Screen shots of the actual software below....I can't wait... :thumbsup:

Link -> http://www.chevelles.com/forums/9292666-post38.html

·
Registered
525 Posts
IF they are building their own I can see how its taking a long time. Microsoft can be a huge pain (and expense) to deal with especially when it comes to USB drivers. They started the signed driver thing with W7 I think and if you want it to work smooth and easy you have to play (and pay) their game. There used to be ways around that but the people that control the loopholes now have their hands out too. There are of course hacks which is fine for the more DIY and computer savvy folks but I bet a company like Holley is trying to do it all the 'right' way which is a slow process. This adapter may also be designed to with a new product we don't know about yet. IF they are going through the process they probably want it to work with as many systems as possible. I hear that people that have to do the same thing with Apple wish they were dealing with Microsoft, they didn't know how good they had it.

I wonder if they will have some sort of a wireless option? Link to your phone and then you could send live data anywhere? Live real time support? How cool would that be? Just like the pro's do it or a car with Onstar for that matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts