Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive owned this car since my junior year of high school, 1983. Bought it for $1650 with money from my paper route the day I turned 16. Its a real 136, 1966 SS convertible 396, 4spd and 4:10 posi twelve bolt rear end. Its had numerous motors over the years from a 396, 427 and now with a 454 (its never had the original engine or trans). Its had a solid lifter, hydraulic and roller hydraulic cams, Holley double pumper, vac sec Holley and quadrate carbs over the years; dual and single plane manifolds, I've run just about everything on this car except forced induction or nitrous. Replaced the manual steering and manual drum brakes with power steering and 4-wheel corvette brakes with a hydro boost about 15 years ago and thought that was the single most impressive upgrade I've done to the car.
Started following EFI over the last couple years, but never thought Id pull the trigger, pretty good at tuning Holley's. Just couldn't resist the temptation any longer for EFI , needed a spring project. So bought a Holley sniper with Hyperspark, Holley billet fuel filter/regulator and a complete Aeromotive fuel tank/pump. Took a couple of weeks working on it here and there installing the system. I was very nervous because wiring is not my thing and there is a lot of wiring to do. Followed the directions to the "T". Powered everything up this morning, programmed the ECU and turned the key. Dam thing started right up and idled! Checked everything over and nothing loose and no leaks. Went out for the trial drive. All I can say is WOW! this set up is amazing, still in learning mode, but dam it ran good for the first time! Better than any set up I've ever had in this car. Only drove for about 30 minutes. Id say it has never run this good before ever! Maybe my 30+ years of Holley carb tuning wasn't as good as I thought, but the EFI and Hyperspark ran so smooth, acceleration was smooth and consistent and it idles perfectly. Id have to say its the best couple grand Ive ever spent on this car. Thanks Holley for a great product.

Attachments

·
Registered
Ryan
1,388 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you. My sniper had an internal short from the factory. But once I put a new unit in, mine fired right up too! I was pretty surprised and I’ve been happy so far. Only other problem I had was high fuel pressure so I just added a regulator and full length return line. Every thing is great now and I’ve been putting as many miles on it as I can reasonably afford.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So Ive owned this car since my junior year of high school, 1983. Bought it for $1650 with money from my paper route the day I turned 16. Its a real 136, 1966 SS convertible 396, 4spd and 4:10 posi twelve bolt rear end. Its had numerous motors over the years from a 396, 427 and now with a 454 (its never had the original engine or trans). Its had a solid lifter, hydraulic and roller hydraulic cams, Holley double pumper, vac sec Holley and quadrate carbs over the years; dual and single plane manifolds, I've run just about everything on this car except forced induction or nitrous. Replaced the manual steering and manual drum brakes with power steering and 4-wheel corvette brakes with a hydro boost about 15 years ago and thought that was the single most impressive upgrade I've done to the car.
Started following EFI over the last couple years, but never thought Id pull the trigger, pretty good at tuning Holley's. Just couldn't resist the temptation any longer for EFI , needed a spring project. So bought a Holley sniper with Hyperspark, Holley billet fuel filter/regulator and a complete Aeromotive fuel tank/pump. Took a couple of weeks working on it here and there installing the system. I was very nervous because wiring is not my thing and there is a lot of wiring to do. Followed the directions to the "T". Powered everything up this morning, programmed the ECU and turned the key. Dam thing started right up and idled! Checked everything over and nothing loose and no leaks. Went out for the trial drive. All I can say is WOW! this set up is amazing, still in learning mode, but dam it ran good for the first time! Better than any set up I've ever had in this car. Only drove for about 30 minutes. Id say it has never run this good before ever! Maybe my 30+ years of Holley carb tuning wasn't as good as I thought, but the EFI and Hyperspark ran so smooth, acceleration was smooth and consistent and it idles perfectly. Id have to say its the best couple grand Ive ever spent on this car. Thanks Halley for a great product.
I you are like me and like to play then buy the Y cable from efisystempro so you can hook up a laptop. The software is free and gives you much more control than the handheld. I promise you the timing table is way off (conservative) and the fuel table rich. Holley states "self learning" which couldn't be further from the truth. Its only capable of doing exactly what you tell it to do which is via the wizard and there is alot to be gained with the software vs the wizard. Alot of good people and advice on Holleys support forum EFI>Sniper. Danny comes across as a dick but if you pay attention to him he will point you in the right direction every time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For the most part I have to agree with travisch, The Y-cable is an inexpensive call to make and allows you to get down to teh fine nuts and bolts of the efi system. I had access to a portable 5 gas analyzer which we stuck in the bed of my '66 camino and took it for a drive. We found that the settings you can insert from the handheld were actually very close to perfect. My engine preferred a slightly richer idle but cruise and WOT were pretty much spot on.

The timing map from the handheld is a disaster, just looking at it I knew changes had to be made so once we got it running on the handheld I immediately opened up the software and made modifications. We then again took it for a drive and I was able to find regimes where we could increase timing and other regimes where we had to back a few degrees out to avoid pinging. This resulted in a timing map cannot be duplicated by a traditional mech+vac advance setup but was perfectly suited to what my big block wanted.

I couldnt be happier with my sniper setup, had it for almost 4-5 years now without a single hiccup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I you are like me and like to play then buy the Y cable from efisystempro so you can hook up a laptop. The software is free and gives you much more control than the handheld. I promise you the timing table is way off (conservative) and the fuel table rich. Holley states "self learning" which couldn't be further from the truth. Its only capable of doing exactly what you tell it to do which is via the wizard and there is alot to be gained with the software vs the wizard. Alot of good people and advice on Holleys support forum EFI>Sniper. Danny comes across as a dick but if you pay attention to him he will point you in the right direction every time.
Good to know. The touch screen on the hand held is pretty crappy, you touch it and any of a number of things can happen. Ive been looking through the Holley support forums. Ill look into the Y-cable as I bought my sniper from EFIsystemspro.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Outstanding. Doing a proper install, instead of a hack job like most shade-trees have done and blamed on Holley all over the interwebs, is the key to success. You can do more tuning in 10 minutes with your new set up than you could do in an entire weekend with your old. You are going to love it. Enjoy the free time.

Oh yeah. If you decide to get Dakota Digital gauges in the future, you can get a module from Holley that allows you to plug your Sniper into the DD and gives you the info you can find on the handheld.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I you are like me and like to play then buy the Y cable from efisystempro so you can hook up a laptop. The software is free and gives you much more control than the handheld. I promise you the timing table is way off (conservative) and the fuel table rich. Holley states "self learning" which couldn't be further from the truth. Its only capable of doing exactly what you tell it to do which is via the wizard and there is alot to be gained with the software vs the wizard. Alot of good people and advice on Holleys support forum EFI>Sniper. Danny comes across as a dick but if you pay attention to him he will point you in the right direction every t
Started following EFI over the last couple years, but never thought Id pull the trigger, pretty good at tuning Holley's. Just couldn't resist the temptation any longer for EFI , needed a spring project. So bought a Holley sniper with Hyperspark, Holley billet fuel filter/regulator and a complete Aeromotive fuel tank/pump. Took a couple of weeks working on it here and there installing the system. I was very nervous because wiring is not my thing and there is a lot of wiring to do. Followed the directions to the "T". Powered everything up this morning, programmed the ECU and turned the key. Dam thing started right up and idled! Checked everything over and nothing loose and no leaks. Went out for the trial drive. All I can say is WOW! this set up is amazing, still in learning mode, but dam it ran good for the first time! Better than any set up I've ever had in this car. Only drove for about 30 minutes. Id say it has never run this good before ever! Maybe my 30+ years of Holley carb tuning wasn't as good as I thought, but the EFI and Hyperspark ran so smooth, acceleration was smooth and consistent and it idles perfectly. Id have to say its the best couple grand Ive ever spent on this car. Thanks Halley for a great product.
Nice looking car and congrats on the new setup. A 136 vin code however denotes a V8 Malibu from the factory - not a SS model...

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Regardless of carb or EFI, that's one gorgeous '66 Chevelle.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just changed to a complete Sniper hyperspark EFI system and agree with you. My car has never run so well. With the carb, always ran too rich and stinky and cold idle sucked. Was hard to get started from a dead stop without high revving, and would not run well at all under 2000 rpm. It is a dream to drive now. Fired right up after completion. As far as power goes (454) I used to get a chirp in second (4 speed) but now I actually fishtail. Amazing. Will never go back!

Rich

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good to know. The touch screen on the hand held is pretty crappy, you touch it and any of a number of things can happen. Ive been looking through the Holley support forums. Ill look into the Y-cable as I bought my sniper from EFIsystemspro.
Just to throw this out there. You dont NEED a Y cable to tune on a laptop. All you need is the canbus to usb cable. You can just unplug the screen from the canbus connector and plug in the usb cable. Snipers use to ship with the usb cable. Not sure if they do recently. We’ve been doing mostly Terminator x multi port setups as of late and they dont include the USB cable anymore.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When you tune from your laptop I assume there is a program you need to download on your laptop? Something from Holley or another vender?
Yep, its free software from Holley. The Sniper software is the same interface as Terminator X, holley HP and dominator. Its just got some features removed.

Here’s a link to the Holley webpage for Sniper resources. You’ll see a link to download the Sniper software third down under Technical Resources:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts