Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 65 Chevelle with a .30 over 454. The compression is 9.6 to 1. I've got 781 heads that have a mild port and polishing. I've got a Dart intake that has been gasket matched. Not sure on the cam, I know it's hydraulic, but other than that all the guy could remember was that it had 302 duration. The carb is a 950 Holley that looks like the guy has messed with. The motor has just been broken in and has not been run on the highway. I changed the plugs and they were black. I start the car in my open garage and there is a lot of exhaust gas, but not much black smoke. I've got the timing set at approximately 36 degrees. I have the floats at the proper level. It has about 7.5 pounds of fuel pressure and new 93 octane gas. The car refuses to stay running. Once I have it idling at about 2000 rpm after about 2 minutes it sputters and dies and does not want to start again. What size jets should this carb have? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,

Zane

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
the jets are not really involved in the idle system. are you sure there's not a big vacuum leak? is there a PCV hose going to the carb?

Probably should idle about 800. can you see the boosters dripping? Although at 2000 it might be metering fuel. Is this a four corner idle carb? If so, try screwing the rear idle mix screws in to seat and just crack them loose like 1/16 turn. Keep track of where they were so you can go back there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
open up the secondaries some to see if you can get the primary side to close some, chances are you are ideling in the transfer slot, also if you are able to adjust the fuel pressure try turning it down to around 6psi for now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts