Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if I can modify my Holley Blue "dead head" regulator so I can run a return line to the tank.

Planning to install a -8AN line from a sumped tank to the modified regulator and use the original fuel line for the return.

Can I put a restrictor in the second supply port and use it for the return?

Any tips?

·
Registered
763 Posts
A tech at Holley told me "no" when I asked him the same question. I had to order a bypass regulator from them.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a tip on how to make the "dead head" regulator work as a return regulator.

Basically remove the check ball. Use one of the outlets as the inlet. The inlet now becomes the return. The other oulet remains as an outlet.

I am in the process of upgrading my fuel system on the 66 Beaumont.

Just a couple of fittings to go and I can test it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty complicated compared to mine.

The question is if it will work properly.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fuel system plumbing is complete and the modified fuel pressure regulator seems to be working just fine with the ball, small spring and retainer removed. Set the fuel pressure at 6 psi and will try it there. It has been raining here for a week and the first race of the season was rained out last weekend.

Hoping to get out and test the new converter and the new fuel system as soon as all this rain subsides.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ran the car last Saturday and it was working fine except for a new problem of throwing the fan belt each run.

The modified return regulator seems to just fine. Only glitch is that the Holley blue pressure drops from 12 psi cold to 9 psi warm, so the pressure regulator also drops from 6 to 3 psi. I guess time to put the spare pump in and do a rebuild on this one.

Even with low fuel pressure ran two bests of 12.33 in just two runs because of fan belt problem. Probably with large fuel line pressure is not much of an issue because the fuel flow volume is sufficient to keep the bowls full.

Will try again this Saturday with low mount alternator, new GM mini starter and fuel pump replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.