Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard these carbs refeered to as junk but holley seems to portray them as "high preformance"..they have anti blowout protection, dual power valves, annular venturis and seem very tunable (to me) using standard holley parts

what is it that you carb guys like about the 4150 over these potentially non-leaking
( only one gasket between body and air horn is what i mean by that rathetr than between bowls and body ...ie integral bowls) series

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Rich,

I have one on my car at the present, once set up I haven't had any problems. I don't know about "High Performance" but it seems fine for a street carb. I do plan on replacing mine for a Q-Jet in the future.

------------------
Rick
67ss bb
But dear, all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....
Rick's 67

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Rich,
We put one on a 406 Marine Motor we built a few years ago and it is running great. Thats the only experience I personally have and I have not heard any negative reports.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the derogatory comment i heard was from THE local carb guru who "only rebuilds Holleys"

when i asked him a question and mentioned that i had a 4011 he told me he didnt work on "junk carbs" so from that i inferred the 4150 and 4160 were considered to be superior by "those in the know"

you know what happens we we assume!!
duh.. when will i ever learn???

for the record im happy with mine...i think it is a nice piece with nice features and no risk of bowl leaks is a plus in my simple mind

·
Registered
661 Posts
I installed the 4011 on my last over cammed 283. It is most responsive carb on the bottom end of any I've ever used. The engine is so crisp it sounds like there is no flywheel on it. My engine idles with only 11" of vacuum at 1100rpm so it is a challenge to get carbs right. The most impressive part of using the carb was the engine will start and idle without the choke and only gain 50-75rpm when warm. I found the typical Holley vacuum secondary timing problem. When I've got it right for first gear[overall gear ratio 13-1], it opens too early in second if I nail it at low rpm. I plan on using it for a baseline when my "tour" motor gets dynoed.
I don't understand why to some it's not a "real" Holley. All the service parts are the same. I quess losing the challenge of dealing with hot fuel spills and gasket leaks common to strip tuning makes the Guru look down his nose at them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.