Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there ! New to the site here . My names Michael. I'm having a problem with an old
Holley
3874898 ER
3139-1
The symptom is i have to prime it with a little gas before it'll start the engine.
Once its running its fine but I have to dump a half ounce in it every time for start up .
Seems like it might be a relatively easy fix seeing as the engine runs well once its running .
Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
3 easy checks,float level,accelerator pump squirt and fuel from the squirters at cold start throttle pump.Seen lots of things cause this but these are the easiest to check on a holley.

·
Registered
780 Posts
LIST-R-3139-1AAS (1-72), 1965-1966 Chevrolet & Chevelle 396 Eng. TV24-2, Master, 85R-2678, Gasket-4-188, Pep-3-331

What specific intake manifold is it on, please? Stock square flange, Q-Jet replacement????

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LIST-R-3139-1AAS (1-72), 1965-1966 Chevrolet & Chevelle 396 Eng. TV24-2, Master, 85R-2678, Gasket-4-188, Pep-3-331

What specific intake manifold is it on, please? Stock square flange, Q-Jet replacement????
Yep its a Q jet intake. Here are a couple photos that may help you help me

Attachments

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
When you replace the accelerator pump diaphragm make sure you setup the pump arm correctly. You may want to check it first. Ive seen many that are set completely wrong. Rather than trying to explain it you can watch this..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Float level was high . Adjusted it down some and that was it !
Never seen this one before. Still not quite sure why .
I'm workin the throttle manually with the engine off and gettin pretty much zero fuel
Checked the float level . It was high . Turned it down. Worked the linkage manually again and fuel was sprayin like it should.
Got in the car turned the key . Engine rolled over 2 or 3 times and fired right up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts