Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I cannot figure out what I’m looking at but don’t think that’s your frame. It looks like sheet metal on the floor, perhaps toward the front of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts
That's not good at all. Better check the rest of the frame. I can't tell the cause, but it may be a rusted out frame. If that's the only spot and the steel thickens away from the hole, a plate can be welded to it to strengthen the area. Access may be a real problem. Might have to pull the engine or body.

Maybe some more picture from different angles might help. I'm not sure either about what I'm looking at.:nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
That pic is a little difficult to make heads or tales out of, (as the others here have stated) but if I had to guess, I'd say it's the area of the frame that can be seen from the engine compartment in front of the fire wall, or possibly seen from inside one of the front wheel wells, (the drivers side would be my guess). But I agree with what has also been previously stated that IF that's the only area with a rot hole in the frame, then you can use a piece of steel, (I'd cut a piece of 1/4" or even 1/8" thick "band iron") and weld it over the hole. Ofcourse if that's one of many, then you need not even bother since you have much bigger problems.

If you're like me, you have numerous pieces of steel stock laying around your garage such as band iron and angle iron as well as 1/4" thick steel plates. But if you don't, then you can go here to buy whatever you might need, and they sell small quantities if you like....

www.metalsdepot.com

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Frames are like any other piece of steel. Sometimes it's just the metal has an issue with impurities and is isolated and sometimes it's more wide spread. If it is isolated to a few areas buy some 11 gauge steel, cut out the area of concern and weld in the new piece. A 140 amp quality welder is needed at a minimum for proper penetration. Try and butt weld the new piece in so it is not an obvious repair. Check for cracks in the existing areas as that is a common problem area especially with a big block. If you are not a good welder hire or find someone that is. Check over the entire frame but don't go overboard and replace an entire frame because of a couple holes unless it is thin overall.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It would also be helpful to state whether the picture is showing down as true down and whether this is near the left or right side. Large black feature on left looks like a speedometer cable? Lots of non-stock wiring? Barely resembles an A-body Chevelle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would also be helpful to state whether the picture is showing down as true down and whether this is near the left or right side. Large black feature on left looks like a speedometer cable? Lots of non-stock wiring? Barely resembles an A-body Chevelle.
it’s on the left side near the headers

Attachments

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Is this a car you are thinking of purchasing? If so, I’d look elsewhere. This will need to be fixed at an indeterminate cost. More importantly, it’s a sign there may be more rust elsewhere.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
If the rest of the frame compares to the wire nut on the electrical you may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg.
Hmmm....maybe... but as far as the electical wiring goes, if he's looking to buy a 50 year old car that's unrestored, then one of the musts as far as I'm concerned would be to replace the entire wiring harness anyway since it isn't wise to rely on wiring a half century old. That would be a good recipe for a fire.

I fully understand your point though. If something like that was McGivered together like that, and who knows how the rest of the car was rebuilt, (including the mechanical parts). I guess it depends on what the price is, and what he plans to do with it. If for instance it's dirt cheap, and he planned on going through the entire car, then that's one thing. But if the price isn't cheap, and he hopes to use and drive it pretty much as is, then your comment definitely applies.

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts
That plastic wire nut belongs on a House where it won't be going 55 - 75 MPH and you don't have to worry about movement loosening it up Not On a Car

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
That hole is on the front passenger frame horn rail. The inner fender is sitting on top. Usually the body ground attaches to the frame in that location and may be missing. The idler arm is below it. The frame outside of a hole is not pitted so I suspect it's probably ok and maybe battery acid or electrolysis got to it due to sloppy wiring. Just cut it out and weld in a new piece of 11 gauge and inspect for other damaged areas and drive the car. If that is the only area its no big deal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can see the 2 idler arm bolts at the lower right, but it is still confusing.
Yeah, this isn't the "left side. It's the right front passenger side, in front of the engine cross member. Definitely idler arm bolts, battery tray, and RH inner fender in that picture. Maybe it's on the left if you're the one taking the picture from the front of the car....

This hole is worth some suspicion. While it's directly under the battery tray, I find it hard to believe the inner fender isn't rusted away in that area as well. Not impossibly by any means, but odd. I would also expect to see more corrosion evidence on teh surfaces immediately around the hole. I wouldn't be surprised if the cause was another area on the frame that exposed that one. It should be investigated regardless.

Speaking from experience over the years, rust holes in frames tend to be VASTLY larger issues than just the literal area of the hole. Almost always the metal is rusted thin from the inside because the fully enclosed parts of the frames stay wetter longer and the actual area to replace extends MANY inches in all directions. Fortunately, this spot is in a far less crucial area.

At the very least, if it's my car, that frame comes out of the car and gets proper attention. With proper weld preparation of the workpieces, 100 - 110 amps is plenty to effect full penetrating welds on an A-body frame. Moreover, what will the rest of the frame look like where it can't be directly seen, like around all the body mount bushing holes?

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,379 Posts
:cool: Okay, I see it now. That is a significant issue, as in expensive to repair, and as pointed out above, if there's one hole there's probably two or more. You'll need to remove the body from the frame and have it inspected and repaired, perhaps replaced.

$$$

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That doesn't look like a normal hole. The edges are odd. Looks like someone dropped some molten wiring insulation and it splashed giving the appearance of a hole.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts